Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering iron tips...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaDa

All my soldering irons have been left unloved for ages and now they need new tips.
Problem is they're not current models and I cannot find appropriate tips.

These are my irons:

Antex ER-30 (30 Watts) tip diameter at 'base' is 4mm
Archer 12W (12 Watts) tip diameter at 'base' is 2mm
Unknown Black handle (> 30 Watts?) tip diameter at 'base' is 4.5mm

Can I just buy tips based upon their 'base' diameter or is there a more scientific approach?

Given that I'm not soldering every day (once a month actually) does that sway the choice of tip?

Cheers

Are they screw on tips?

All three irons have a shaft into which the base of the tip slots.
To hold each tip in place each iron has a small small screw near the base of the exposed tip
(I think you know what I mean - if need be I'll draw a picture :))

I have e-mailed antex and maplin (for the archer one) for details on those irons
any help on the unknown one (or these) would still be appreciated.

Last edited:
All three irons have a shaft into which the base of the tip slots.
To hold each tip in place each iron has a small small screw near the base of the exposed tip
(I think you know what I mean - if need be I'll draw a picture :))

I have e-mailed antex and maplin (for the archer one) for details on those irons
any help on the unknown one (or these) would still be appreciated.

If they resemble the attached image you are absolutely sure the screw secures the tips and the tips are not threaded as in the attached image the tips are threaded.

Ron

Attachments

• Basic%20Pencils.jpg
    Basic%20Pencils.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
Ah! if these irons have a threaded tip then I'm going to have to look at the irons again!

I was so sure that little screw was doing the work - never thought to undo the screw and see what happened!

I'm not going to be near them until the weekend - so please bear with me

Just something to think about. :)

Ron

Turns out I was right - they were all held in place by their little screws.
More details on the tips though:
Antex tip: 70mm total length (50mm in iron) 3.9mm diameter
Archer tip: 29mm total length (16.5mm in iron) - 3.2mm diameter in iron (2,4mm dia tip)
Other tip: 50mm total length (20mm in iron) - 4.5mm diameter

Are these known tips? Anyone care to recommend replacements?

Cheers

In general, I would think that any tip that fits would work fine. Just look for some of the same approximate size and the desired tip type.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back