Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Iron setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Souper man

Ive been soldering for a long time now, and i was wondering what is the best angle to put your soldering iron when your not using it, yet its still on. For example, should i hang it down from ceiling, or should i just put it on the workbench?

get a soldering stand, its the best option for safetey issues and are very cheap here, they can be bought for like £5 which is very little compared to a house fire.

-=GST=- Nemisis (cs/cz) said:
get a soldering stand, its the best option for safetey issues and are very cheap here, they can be bought for like £5 which is very little compared to a house fire.
That's even cheaper compared to an apartment on fire :D
I've noticed that some of the soldering iron doesn't have any connection to the earth terminal, wouldn't it be unsafety?
When the soldering is the first time being used, I noticed that smoke coming out from the holes, those holes are for air circulation, I was scared :eek:

lol well talking about unsafety, i have a soldering iron that runs by a butane gass liquid like in a lighter. first time i used it i didnt really know what i was doing, no one reads the manual :p, and i had the flame from soldering iron on which is how it works. you are supposed to cover it with one of the tips and when you do this the flame is hidden. because i couldnt see the flame i didnt think it was on! bad idea :p very very hot and burned my fingers :( but im ok now :)

I always read the manual, from cover to cover =\

Souper man said:
Ive been soldering for a long time now, and i was wondering what is the best angle to put your soldering iron when your not using it, yet its still on. For example, should i hang it down from ceiling, or should i just put it on the workbench?
Soldering iron stand is not a problem much. But you have to consider more about soldering iron than the stand.

cheapy soldering irons do get more heat than expect & burn the iron very quickly also the components.

Some soldering irons I have experienced the grip is getting hot than the bit. Those are cheapy ones worse of all. Price 0.4 US$.

Cheapy irons you cannot replace a bit. Because the metal is corroding quickly & also the nut & bolt is damaging quickly due to heat.

There are many temperature controlled soldering irons available nowadays. But I don’t have one I have a normal TANAKA 30W soldering iron (Japan). Price 12 us$. It’s a very good soldering iron. I used a normal stand for it. No more problem yet.

Here is the stand I’m using.
**broken link removed**

Souper man said:

For non controlled irons.

If you have the iron tip down the handle may get warm/hot.

Storing it tip up would be good from a thermal standpoint but painful in terms of burns.

I have a coiled wire stand that works well for the 30W iron. With the 15W that I normally use I have to be careful to ensure that the iron tip does not contact the holder coil or it draws too much heat away from the iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back