Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Iron Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

revans

Hey there, first of all, I'm not sure if this is in the right place so sorry if it isn't but anyway...

I need a new soldering iron for a personal electronics project as what I have at the moment is pretty much a heated nail and I need to do an lm3914 chip and other stuff. I don't have any electronics shops near me so that's not an option and so from perusing local online shops for stuff that's cheapish (in terms of New Zealand; I hear good soldering irons in USA can be picked up for <$10 - but not so much here) but goodish quality too I've found these two which I am weighing up between. This one: **broken link removed**... which is 18w and NZ$30 (~$50 US) and this one: https://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Lapto... which is 25w and NZ$10 (~$20). As far as I can tell myself they both look alright and have small tips and in general are pretty similar except for colour and price.

Is there any point spending just over double the price to get an iron from the more reputable and reliable store (Jaycar) or should I just opt with the cheaper, higher-wattage, generic iron from TradeMe?

Thanks for any advice :)

Is there any point spending just over double the price to get an iron from the more reputable and reliable store (Jaycar) or should I just opt with the cheaper, higher-wattage, generic iron from TradeMe?

You get what you pay for.

A Weller WTCPT is the way to go...

You have a point there, but the thing is that I'm not seriously into soldering and at the moment only need it for a couple relatively simple circuits as well as for whatever future use I may have in a similar capacity; so an expensive temp-controlled station is probably a bit unneccesary for me. (These are the circuits: 12V powered, 12 V battery charger and **broken link removed**) Those first two irons I posted are about as cheap as I could find without them being "heated nail" crap. I wouldn't want to spend any more than the $30 NZ for the Jaycar iron.

Last edited:
... so an expensive temp-controlled station is probably a bit unneccesary for me.

You did say "thanks for any advice" :)

Go with the Jaycar unit, it looks pretty nice. Although, I just checked completed lisitings on eBay here, and used Weller WTCPT stations are going for between $37-47US, plus S/H...

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice :D Unfortunately, it's the S/H that kills my wallet, because getting stuff all the way down here to NZ can is pretty bad most of the time. I reckon if I wanted to go all out for a solder station I may as well get the one you pointed out earlier. Anyway though, I guess it does come down to what you said about "you get what you pay for". I suppose that in the long run, getting the jaycar one would be a better idea.

If you are going to use the iron for one project buy the cheapest one you can find. Keep the tip clean and don't drop the iron.

If this is a one off thing try wrapping a tinned wire around the tip of you heated nail to make a tip extension. It may reduce the temperature a bit but that could be a good thing. Be sure to apply solder to the new tip just as soon as it is just hot enough to melt it. This keeps it for oxidizing. Kee the part of the new tip that extends past the old under 1/2 an inch.

3v0

Novel idea there, 3v0 :D Though I must say despite your ingenious idea I'll probably be going for the cheaper iron from TradeMe. Much thanks to everyone who's replied.

Some kind of weller does the job perfectly, but it costs a bit more :rolleyes:

Otherwise I have a Velleman JLT-01, and Velleman is the perfect budget choice from my point of view!

The pages wouldnt load for me but it might be worth saving up a little more regardless if you are really into it now or not.

You defiantly want a station. And a temp. controlled unit will help prolong the life of your tips as well as the gun. Without temp controlled even if it has a knob... lets say a total of 25 watts and you have the knob set to half way. It still heats up and doesnt stop, just a bit slow then max watts. So that means that your gun will heat up to the max temp anyway.

A temp controlled unit will constantly turn your gun on and off.
Xytronic 379 Temperature Controlled Soldering Station

This is the best deal I have seen for a new one. You dont have to buy a weller. This is incredible quality for the price, and my weller station didnt even feel as nice as this one. The lower end weller stations are not as good as this xytronic.

Its worth it to just wait and save.
Here is a great article.
TALKING ELECTRONICS Soldering

Scroll down and read about stations and temp control.

Also when you care to read about soldering. This is a Weller guide to soldering.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.astro.umd.edu%2F~harris%2Fdocs%2FWellerSoldering.pdf&ei=9xcdSbzzIYTcNJ_-kc8J&usg=AFQjCNH3jGaEP9aWDUWHW2cZiWmV8_ps3Q&sig2=2HvJF4jCZkgHZFTiv34YTg

Then when you get your gun make sure and understand the proper way to use your gun, or you will spend lots of money on tips.

Last edited:
Just borrow from a friend that was not to cheap to buy a good iron :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back