Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Fume Extractor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty_47

Good day, has anyone tried one of these fume extractors?

**broken link removed**

Do they work?
Will they prevent the smoke detector from going off when soldering?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have one. I use it every time I expose,develop and etch circuit boards. I don't know if it will stop a smoke detector from going off as my shop doesn't have a smoke detector.

Do they work?
Will they prevent the smoke detector from going off when soldering?

Never tried one; never had the need to. Have you seen the various instructables on how to build your own (much cheaper, too)? Might be worth a look, if you really need one (carbon filters are easy to find, too).

But I do have to wonder how you are setting off a smoke detector? I would think that would require either one very heavy soldering session, or are you soldering directly underneath the detector? I mean, my in-laws are all very heavy smokers - at one time, I could go over to my mother-in-law's house during a heavy multi-family member round of rook, and the haze was palpable (it was like being in a bar, or a bingo hall). Seriously, I probably lost a few years off my life every time I visited. But never once did any of the smoke detectors in the house go off, and they all had fresh batteries. If heavy smoke was going to do this anywhere, it would've been there, I would think.

Then again - maybe the smoke detectors had all died a "slow death" from all the smokers (maybe they all got gummed up with tar?), and not even an actual fire would've set 'em off...

:D

Smoke Extract, $30 solution

I found an amazingly simple method to extract smoke and fumes and it only costs $30 to do it.
It involves the simple bathroom fan and plastic duct to do it. Here is a simple youtue video on how to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9e_XkgdQUE

I tested it today with 70cfm fan by smoking two cigarets 6" away from it. The smoke detector did NOT go off (HoorAY !). Hope this is helpful to any one trying to get rid off toxic fumes while soldering in confined space.

P.S. You can buy the bathroom fan and duct at home depot for around $30. I chose to use the 3" to 4" adapter to use 4" duct and thus lower opposition to flow (but this cost more money)

Last edited:
Do they work?

yes i have and it didn't worked as intended... it must too close to the source
of the fumes so it can attract them.

since the fan plays the most important role have in mind that in case
the one you're gonna buy comes with a more powerful fan...then probably
it will work better then the version i tried.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back