Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering flux recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

Getting into SMD and presently using Radio Shack paste flux but looking at videos I see a liquid no clean flux etc.
What is everyone using?, solder size(using .032 60/40 from RS)
recomendations needed as I intend to order a better product than presently using

SMD parts cover a spectrum of sizes, from SOIC and 1206 that are relatively easy to use to ones that are really quite challenging. For resistors and capacitors, I use 805's when I can. Anything smaller is just too hard for me to hand solder.

With that introduction, I think 0.031 is a little big for the smaller stuff. It is fine for SOIC, but for 805's and smaller IC packages, particularly ones without pins that stick out, I prefer 0.015. I use Kester 44 (mild) rosin core flux and keep a tin handy. I makes a nice temporary paste to hold things in place and solder flows really well. I have tried some of the water soluble and no-clean fluxes, but didn't like them as well. Washing off residual flux after soldering is no big deal in my opinion. It also gets rid of fingerprints and other contaminants.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back