Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering an LED across a motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KREEF

Hi

I have made an under water camera housing for my camcorder and it works really well, however I need to solder 2 additional things to it to make it work exactly as needed. The first thing is an additional switch (a reset switch from an old PC case) which I soldered across the record button, and it works fine.

The next thing is that I need to be able to tell if it's recording as I have no way of telling (the side LCD has the only indicator which is the words REC and a red dot which appear when recording, very standard..)

So what I'd like to do is to solder an LED across the motor (is this possible?) so that when the mini tape is being recorded to and the motor is turning the LED lights up and I can see it.

I know that motors will vary from camera to camera so I'm not looking for detailed info for my particular camera, I'm just worried that it may cause the voltage to drop to the motor or something like that.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

An LED in series with a resistor across the motor connections should work (you must have the resistor). For a typical LED current of 20mA, the value of the resistor would be (Vmotor - Vled) ÷ 0.02. Vled for a typical non-high-brightness red LED is about 1.7V.

Don't connect a resistor in series with the LED then post a video of the LED burning out instantly. Run for cover because the LED might blow up.

Thanks for the replies but I'm a bit confused now because the answers contradict each other, which of you guys is correct?

Thanks!

I thought you'd always need a resistor in series with the LED to protect it?
How would the resistor make the LED burn out?

I think what AG was saying is, don't put the series resistor and film it blowing up, in other words; put a resistor:)

Without the resistor to limit the current then the LED will blow up. Make and post a video of it blowing up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back