Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering an Audio Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

ormo

Hi,

I'm currently making an amplifier and I've come across a bit of a problem:

I need to solder a length of 4-core flex onto a 4-pole 3.5mm male audio jack. The connection points are all very small (as would be expected) and they don't take to the solder very well. Can anyone recommend any tips on how I could solder the wires on?

Should I just abandon this idea and find a different connection type with 4 poles that is easier to solder (perhaps a USB plug)?

Sounds like you need a hotter iron or better tip.

I have noticed that very cheap audio jacks made in China cannot be soldered.
I have never had a problem with quality jacks made by Switchcraft in the USA.

The cheap jacks fall apart or fail soon. Switchcraft jacks are made properly and last "forever".

Looks like I'll look for another style of plug, any suggestions for an easy to solder plug type (I need the male and female) that has at least 4 poles?

4 pin mini din? there are loads about, and you can buy ready made extensions pretty easy if that helps, as thats what S-Video on the tv uses.

many of those connectors have a thin coating of new-silver (chemical silver) which corrodes and turns black caused by humid air.

They are not solderable anymore under these conditions.

This is how to clean them: Mix a "pudding" of water and cigarette ashes (better cigar ashes) and use a worn out toothbrush to clean the connector.

Rinse with clear water and dry immediately with a hair dryer.

Solders like a charm after treatment.

Boncuk

Sounds like a cheapy solder iron. Invest in a better iron, as it will make all your future projects much easier.

I don't think the iron is the problem - everything else solders perfectly. The solder will form around the wire and the connection point but then any amount of force on the wire and the solder itself will just pop off the plug. I'm going to use a USB Type-B plug anyway.

This is how to clean them: Mix a "pudding" of water and cigarette ashes (better cigar ashes) and use a worn out toothbrush to clean the connector. Rinse with clear water and dry immediately with a hair dryer. Solders like a charm after treatment.

Or just use Tarn-X tarnish remover (thiourea+sulforric acid), available at many stores near you (near me). Dip it in and the tarnish disappears...

I don't think the iron is the problem - everything else solders perfectly. The solder will form around the wire and the connection point but then any amount of force on the wire and the solder itself will just pop off the plug. I'm going to use a USB Type-B plug anyway.

Connectors require more heat than standard parts. USB connectors are frail in my opinion and cheap ones are real flakey, but suit yourself. I have many years experience using irons, and I am sure your trouble with the connector is your iron. Just for giggles, or to prove me wrong, what iron are you using?

Applying rosin flux to the joint before applying the solder may also help.

RadioShack doesn't buy cheap Chinese connectors. They "dumpster dive" and get defective ones (steel?) for free then sell them at inflated prices.

Get a good American jack.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back