Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

soldering a pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I just programed a simple pwm project where the input to the ADC generated by a potentiometer (or other variable DC source) controls the duty cycle of the PWM output,

well all worked fine on the breadboard so i tried soldering the pic straight to some strip board. now nothing happens except that the outoput is 0 unless i flick the post fast enough (slowly does not do it) and the output goes high.

Did I fry the pic ? bearing in mind it may be weak as had suffered a reverse polarity and goten hot already.

will a pic normally stand soldering or are plugs always best ?

hm well it worked ok after reversing the polarity i have reprogrammed it many times, maybe i weakened it and soldering it was the final blow, as its power in out and mclr its not much of a circuit and nothing to get wrong, didn't even need any wires.

PIC's are incredibly strong, they take a LOT of abuse to damage them.

You'd have to really appallingly bad at soldering to damage one soldering it in, but in any case as it's a reprogrammable device it makes sense to fit it in a socket anyway.

Take it back out, and try reading it with your programmer - I would suggest that it's far more likely you've made a silly mistake on your stripboard layout (such as not fully cutting a track).

Hi nigel, well my soldering is not terrific, a bit better with my new 12 W iron, I'll try taking the pic back out but really theres not a lot to get wrong as the actual board I made is just the pic with 2 decoupling capacitors, theres an analog in and a PWM out

well I did try with a multimeter to see that they were broken and they seem to be, I'll get the pic off and try again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back