Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder that won't solder

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACharnley

About 5 months ago I purchased 500g of solder on aliexpress, this stuff. It has lots of positive reviews.

1.8% flux.

**broken link removed**

I've come to use it today and it won't flow at all. I added Kingbo RMA-218 flux (which has always worked with other solder I've used) and still it won't flow.

The iron I've turned up to 220c, I can go higher but it might burn the coil out. The solder melts around the 180c.

What gives?

About 5 months ago I purchased 500g of solder on aliexpress, this stuff. It has lots of positive reviews.

1.8% flux.

**broken link removed**

I've come to use it today and it won't flow at all. I added Kingbo RMA-218 flux (which has always worked with other solder I've used) and still it won't flow.

The iron I've turned up to 220c, I can go higher but it might burn the coil out. The solder melts around the 180c.

What gives?
I run my iron at 350 degrees C. Have for 30 years or so. Soldering never a problem.

220°C is awfully low for soldering. It might be hot enough to melt the solder on the iron tip, but it is not hot enough to transfer any heat to a joint to be soldered. You will need that soldering iron at least 330°C, preferable closer to 370°C.

I have some crap solder purchased from one of the Chinese sellers. It is horrible. Somehow, the alloy mix is inconsistent. An inch or two might seem good, and then the next section won't even melt at normal iron temperatures.

My fault for not saying, 220c is at the tip. The iron is on 345c for the good solder. I took it up to 400c on a re-try and admittedly the crap solder was better but as soon as it touched the PCB the heat dissipated slightly and I was back to square one.

I started going through the reviews and a few have said the same, it's a high temperature solder. Not 183c as said on the packaging. Buy cheap buy twice!

I set mine to 700°F and leave it there. If you are going to increase it for lead free, you better have a stock of new tips on hand as the higher temp along with the lead free erodes the tip quite quickly.

There are some crappy discount soles out there - some ball up and never "wet-out" the copper or tin-plated pad. Some won leave our soldering iron tip.

Make sure you have a clean tip that is not eroded. Use good solder. The Kester only comes in fairly large rolls. MG Chemical all solder in small rolls (they used to re-roll Kester solder into smaller rolls (4oz and 8oz rolls). The last spool I bought was 1/32" MG chemical 4oz (lead/tin) and it worked perfectly fine. The second-to-last roll I bought was a no-name brand rom Amazon and it just wouldn't wet-out onto the pcb.

Here in the Uk multicore savbit was the go to solder at one time, it contained a little copper so didnt eat the bit too quick.
You can still get it, but they dont seem to keen to say whether it contains lead or not, it doesnt seem as good as it was, maybe thats my eyesight.

I've just replaced it with Savbit equiv from RS (2% copper) and all is fine. I'd have got on to the aliexpress seller if I hadn't left it so late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back