Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solder mask for PCBs

Status
Not open for further replies.

merk

Hi,
I would like my PCB would look line more pro so I wish to be in green or red paint like industrial PCBs are, but I don't want to use paint sprays.
I need a solder mask that will be applied to PCB after etching process is done but before soldering the components to the PCB, so mask should not be where solder will be applied to the PCB.

I searced the internet and I found that this is called solder mask. The purpose of solder mask should be to protect against arcing, abrasion, moisture and chemicals. And on the other hand I read that solder mask is used before wave or reflow solderng to prevent connections to be coupled together.

Now I found some solder mask on Farnell site and on **broken link removed**, but don't know if that is what I need. I also found some video on Youtube that shows how I wish my PCB looks like.

So I ask you if you could help me find what I need. Should I look for UV or photo-imageable solder masks and what does temporary solder mask mean as it is written in datasheet for a solder mask I found on Farnell site.
What is used to develop (remove) a solder mask after it has been exposed to UV light - maybe NaOH?

Testor's makes a green semi-transparent acrylic that you can spray on that will look decent.

My thinking if you want it to look professional have it made professionally. If you got to the right place they are quit affordable.

On all my PCBs that I have made I have used wood lacquer and it prevent corrosion of solder very well. But now I also wish my PCB to be green (or red) like industrial made does and I don't want it to just spray with the spray paint.
I know that purpose of a solder mask in industrial process is to secure PCB when wave soldering process takes place. Those masks are also named as peelable solder masks and are thick rubber like material that is removed after solder proces.
I don't exactly know how they colour industrial made PCBs (maybe silk screen process), but what I wish is the same think that youtube video that I have pasted shows. I just don't know where to buy that. I have found something that should be like UV solder mask on Ebay (link above), but I really prefer to buy from a real retailer that from some chinese garage seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back