Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder iron question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
dknguyen said:
You're just jealous because you can't have any.
Why would anybody buy a cheap Chinese soldering iron for double the price of its value?

That cheapy soldering iron is worth only the cost of a few bowls of rice which is the monthly or yearly salary of the guy (girl?) who made it.

Don't blame the Chinese. They just saw an open market and jumped in. The US and Canada opened the door to them with the ultra-liberal trade agreements that nobody but the foreign manufacturers wanted.

But its not the cheap wages that make China-brand cheap... its the super good deals they get on shipping (read North American subsidies) and the near-absence of tariffs and export-import duties.

Jobs going overseas? Nah, it'll never happen.

I've been thru a lot of 15 buck irons yes they could produce some smoke at first and don't be surprised if it breaks down after 100 odd hours of use. as simple and hardy as a soldering iron may seem even the simplest kind must be of good quality and may only cost twice a cheap one wile lasting years instead of months. I got a nice little philips 25/50 watts some years ago I don't use it much but it is still working, it runs at 25 W and goes to 50 if I push a button, handy for tougher/larger stuff or for outdoors

AllVol said:
Don't blame the Chinese. They just saw an open market and jumped in. The US and Canada opened the door to them with the ultra-liberal trade agreements that nobody but the foreign manufacturers wanted.

But its not the cheap wages that make China-brand cheap... its the super good deals they get on shipping (read North American subsidies) and the near-absence of tariffs and export-import duties.

Jobs going overseas? Nah, it'll never happen.

once upon a time when we went over there and paid them crap to make us rich in our factorys build in their countries it was fine. now that they are trying it on their own we don't like it, mind you a lot of stuff is crap. I have worked for someone collecting samples and trying to see what to buy and most the stuff we were sent was rubbish. We were sent a ripped sample shirt the fabric was so thin it fell apart.

Cheap shipping from China?
I know.

Walmart had a sale for a Chinese 40W fluorescent light for over my workbench. It blinks and blinks and blinks for a few minutes until it is warmed up. I looked inside it and instead of some bits of rice I saw a label on its Amenican-made ballast: "Use at 68 degrees F and higher". My workshop is usually 67 degrees F.

The very heavy inductive ballast is made is the US. It is shipped to China where it is installed in the light that has a steel case also made in the US. Then it is shipped to Canada and sells for only half its cost, nothing allowed for all the shipping.
Walmart buys them for almost nothing and makes a big profit. The Chinese manufacturer gets almost nothing. The shipping companies are laughing. I am crying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back