Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder iron question..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone!
I'm new to electronics and only bought my first solder iron a few days ago. I tried it today and I noticed that even before I have tried to do anything with it, it produces a steady flow of white fumes. I left it in the stand for some time before using it and as it continued to do this I turned it off. I googled tutorials on how to solder and looked at a few video clips online and I didn't see this happening with any other solder irons. I understand it's normal for fumes to be produced while the solder is in contact with the iron, but is it normal for it to fume by itself when it's just heating up? Is it safe to continue using this solder iron?
If it helps, this is the soldering iron that I have: **broken link removed**
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Many thanks,
LittleMissElectronic

It will tend to smoke for a while when new, it's probably had some kind of coating on the bit that has to burn off. Personally I would recommend an Antex iron, rather than a cheap one, and get a temperature controlled one if you can afford it.

I'm presuming you're new to soldering?, and a temperature controlled iron will make it easier for you.

BTW, welcome to the forums, we need more beautiful young ladies in Electronics.

You could probably use steel wool or a wire brush to clean the Iron off

I bought a supposidly temperature controlled iron from Craplins. It came with a crappy PVC cable which I decided to replace with a heat resistant rubber cable. To my horror when I opened up the power supply I discovered a simple phase controlled lamp dimmer circuit. I suppose it is temperature controlled but there's no feeback so it's crap.

Last edited:
That definitely sounds shady, I don't know anyone that would consider a dimmer to be temperature control. It's not like it's even that hard, you just have to embed a thermocouple close to the tip.

Sceadwian said:
You could probably use steel wool or a wire brush to clean the Iron off

Be careful with such cleaning methods. My old irons have plated tips that don't like being cleaned with steel wool and other than a brass wire brush. It might scratch off the tip coating. I prefer using the usual wet spong for easy cleaning, and Weller Tip Cleaner which is a paste material that you dip your tip into when it is quite dirty.

Well it's tought me not to buy anything other than something simple like solder of an IC from Craplins. I suppose Wallfart's just as bad where you live.

That is the cheapest soldering iron I have ever seen. It is pretty expensive for its extremely low quality. No wonder it continuously smokes.

Wow that is a cheap soldering iron. Was it a rule of thumb to spend $30+ on a soldering iron? It does make quite a difference. The stick irons (rather than station) I like the most are the Goot ones.

Have you tinned the tip? That should help "wash away" whatever is smoking your tip.

Those cheap soldering irons smoke because they are made from Bamboo.:D

Since your little hair curling iron was the cheapest by far of those on the page, I fear you got what you paid for.

littlemisselectronic said:
Hi everyone!
I'm new to electronics and only bought my first solder iron a few days ago. I tried it today and I noticed that even before I have tried to do anything with it, it produces a steady flow of white fumes. I left it in the stand for some time before using it and as it continued to do this I turned it off. I googled tutorials on how to solder and looked at a few video clips online and I didn't see this happening with any other solder irons. I understand it's normal for fumes to be produced while the solder is in contact with the iron, but is it normal for it to fume by itself when it's just heating up? Is it safe to continue using this solder iron?
If it helps, this is the soldering iron that I have: **broken link removed**
Any help would be greatly appreciated! :)
Many thanks,
LittleMissElectronic

Read the Specifications:

30W Soldering Iron

How to Solder • Ensure that all dust, rust or paint on the part to be soldered is removed • Heat the part to be solder • Apply solder to the part and melt with the soldering iron • Ensure the solder has cooled and hardened before moving the part Warning • The soldeing iron reaches high temperatures so extreme care must be taken when handling the iron as it can cause fires or painful burns • The iron may smoke slightly on first use - this is normal and will last for only about 10 minutes • DO NOT file the tips as this will result in permanent damage. Spare tips are available (Order Code N39AC)

Just so anyone here doesn't make the same mistake as me I've posed a link to the crappy soldering iron I bought.
**broken link removed**

Hero,
Your crappy soldering iron with the light dimmer inside came with a pack of WHAT???

That cheapie iron cost about twice as much as the one I've been using for the last six months. I think mine smoked for a while when it was new. I bought it to use until I decided which one to buy, but it has been serving me pretty well, so I still haven't got a good one. (Haven't done any small pitch stuff since I got here, so....)
Ha, mine rattles when you shake it.

It rattles when you shake it because whoever made it dropped some of the rice from his lunch in there.
Is it made from Bamboo?

audioguru said:
Hero,
Your crappy soldering iron with the light dimmer inside came with a pack of WHAT???
3 pack of ass. . . assorted tips.:D
**broken link removed**

It rattles when you shake it because whoever made it dropped some of the rice from his lunch in there.
Is it made from Bamboo?
Good to know; if I ever get to the point I can't solder because I'm shaking from low blood sugar, I can open it and have lunch.
No, Bamboo would be too expensive, it's plastic.

audioguru said:
Is it made from Bamboo?
You're just jealous because you can't have any.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back