Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solder in the washing machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsted

Hi,
So I pulled out my laundry right now only to see a coil of lead-free solder (probably 5' worth) at the bottom of the machine. I must have left in one of my pockets! :eek: Hmmmm, so my clothes have been washed with solder. Don't really know about chemistry, so I'm seeking some advice...anyone think this really is bad? Specifically, should I a) forget about it, b) rewash clothes, c) dispose of clothing!! It was a cold water wash if that makes a difference.
Thanks.

It's unlikely that anything dangerous dissolved from the solder into the water, but to be safe, rewashing the load in warm water should remove anything of possible significance.

Hey, at least now you know your solder is clean!

Agree, re-wash in warm water. I assume this is lead solder? What little rubbed off on your clothes should mostly be gone. Of course, it'll go into the drain, so I wouldn't make a practice of this. Lead does accumulate. But I don't think you have anything to worry about.

(IANAD: I am not a doctor.)

Whoops, sorry, didn't see that you said it was lead-free. Nevermind.

Last edited:
Hey, it's lead free solder per the OP. We have been drinking water soldered with 50/50 Tin/Lead for many many years until the change to Lead Free. Tin/Antimony is a typical lead-free alloy. I'm not in the habit of eating my clothes.

I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back