Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Torch Electronic Design Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

uksnowman

Hi Everybody

My knowledge of electronics is quite limited and was wondering if anybody can help me out.

I want to build a Solar Torch, however have been banging my head against the wall with respect to the electronics deisgn.

The solar cells will charge a Lithium Ion battery and the battery will power my LED array (5 LED's).

Very simple idea but have had complications with the charging circuits for Lithium Ion batteries.

I need a 6V supply for my LED array which draws 240mA and therfore the obvious choice would be a 7.2V Li Ion battery, however, I appreciate I need a protection PCB to prevent over charging and discharging.

The batteries I have looked at which have protection PCB's/IC's have overdischarge limits set in the region of 4V which leaves me 2V short of my required supply voltage.

Am I correct in thinking that I need to utilise a 11.1V Lithium Ion battery which has a protection PCB which limits over discharge voltage to 9V and then regulate this there after to my 6V?

Can anybody recomend an electronics outlet where I can by small solar cells and Lithium Ion Batteries with integrated protection circuits? I have spent alot of time on Battery Space but is quite expensive with respect to shipping.

Any help with the above would be very much appreciated.

Kind regards

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back