Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Security Camera Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashton86

I am a real amateur when it comes to all things electronics and I was wondering if you could help me.

I have purchased land out in the middle of no where and have no power. Unfortunately I have had a fair share of red necks helping them selves to things on my property, or just simply snooping around when I'm not there.

Due to this, I have recently purchased a digital camera that runs off a 9volt battery. It takes a photo when motion is detected with the inbuilt motion sensor, and saves the image on to an SD card. Works an absolute treat for my intentions. However, the 9volt battery only has a life span of about 7 hours.

You might have a good laugh at this, but in my ignorance and attempt to have this set up on a continuous feed (i need it to run for 1 month inbetween visits). My attempt was in vain, you see what i set up was wires running from the camera to a rechargeable 9volt battery, from this battery i ran wires to a 12volt car battery and from the car battery i ran a 5watt solar panel that trickle feed the car battery.

I returned only to find the 9volt battery absolutely fried and the camera not working. At first thoughts i presumed i had fried the camera as well, however, after testing, it worked fine.

I discovered that feeding 12 volts direclty into a 9 volt battery probably isnt the smartest idea and have since been searching the internet for another idea.

What I am considering doing now is to hook my solar panel (5 watt) to the car battery (12 volt) and then running wires to a dc/dc converter that will reduce the feed simply to 9volts that i can wire straight into the camera.

Do you think this will work?

If not, can you please tell me the best possible way of achieving my outcome.

Thanks for your time,

here are the specifications of the camera should you need them;

Imaging Sensor: 1/ 4" Color CMOS sensor
Lens: F2.0/f3.6(4G+IR) pinhole
Resolution: 640H x 480V (4:3)
Responsively: 1.9V/lux-sec(550nm)
Dynamic Range: 60dB
S/N Ratio: 45dB
White Balance: Automatic
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA
Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

Since you already have a 12 v power source, why not use a 9v voltage regulator and get rid of the battery altogether? Positive terminal of the battery to a LM7809 input lead. The output lead of the 7809 goes to the positive terminal of where the battery went. The ground of the 7809 goes to the negative terminal of the 12volt battery as well as the negative terminal on the camera.

On a side note -- what keeps them from helping themselves to your camera and car battery??

-mike

ashton86 said:
Exposure: Automatic
USB: 30 frames per-second
Power Supply: 8~14VDC
Current Consumption: Standby@12V~50mA
Max.(Alarm)@12V~50mA

Operating Temperature: 14°F ~140°F / -10°C ~ 60°C
Fire Protection: ABS plastic housing

Why can't you hook up the 12V battery directly to the camera? Take out the rechargeable battery altogether.

-Mike

Places like Radio Shack carry voltage adapters meant to plug into the cigarette lighter of a car and output a variety of voltages selected by a switch. These things are usually less than $30. You can use this to convert safely from the 12V car battery down to your 9V assuming you switch the device to its 9V setting correctly of course.

Example Radio Shack Model: 273-1863 | Catalog #: 273-1863

Last edited:
Thanks for your help

I have just purchased myself a 7Ah deep cycle battery for the camera project.

Another question that I was wondering you could help me out with.
I have a 5watt and also a 1.5watt solar panel. I was wondering if placed in direct sunlight the 1.5watt solar panel would be enough to trickle feed the 7Ah battery that will be running my camera?

Also, will the "built in diode" on the solar panel be enough to avoid discharge/overcharge?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Ashton,

a 1.5W solar panel will just deliver the required current and a small leftover for battery charging. The maximum current will be 125mA at full exposure to bright sunlight. Assuming an average time of 4 hours intense sunlight and another 4 hours of less intensity daily there will hardly be the chance to overcharge a 7Ah battery.

Use an 7809 to decrease the battery voltage from 12 to 9V to supply your camera. Use the 5W panel for a high voltage fence to protect your camera. :)

The cameras I've seen are about the size of a big PIR and would be easy enough to hide if they weren't white, unless of course you had to place them on a white surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back