Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinheiro

Hi all. i am a mechanical engineering student and working on a project. i'm struggling with the electronics aspect and have a few questions.
1. i need to supply 1.12MW to 4 industrial pumps. they operate on a voltage of 380V how do i do it
2. i need to assemble batteries to able to emit 1.8MW of energy. could someone assist me in determine how to go about it. i know i need low voltage batteries, i am looking at 2V and 500Ah (please let me know if i could do better). energy will flow out of the battery at a rate of 75KWh. the batteries will be charged by solar. i need general assistance. (i can swim but dont know where the shore is )

I suggest you re-examine your numbers - they seem totally unrealistic? (and completely wrong).

1.8MW at 380V is almost 4800A - assuming the pumps need that much power?, then they would run off a much higher voltage to lower the current.

However, 'four industrial pumps' doesn't sound 'small' regardless, so you're going to need HUGE arrays of batteries, and fields full of solar panels.

Any large industrial motor will also be three phase AC, not DC.

To run from batteries / solar panels it will need inverters to produce the AC for the pumps, rated at something higher than the motor power; the 1.8MW you mention is not unreasonable.

Even if you use batteries series up to eg. 1200V (600 cells), one set of 500AH cells would last just twenty minutes at 1.8MW load, with a discharge current of around 1500 Amps - far too high for any conventional batteries.

It would need 1,800 cells minimum for each hour of run time required & probably far more, to get the battery discharge current down to an acceptable level, if you want the batteries to have anything like a reasonable life.

The as Nigel says, fields full solar panels with an output rating of probably 8 - 12 MW or more to be able to recharge the batteries within "sunlight hours", if it's a continuously running system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back