Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powering a quartz clock motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic_marsa11

Hello everyone,

I'm starting a personally exciting venture into solar panels. However my knowledge is limited so be kind, but I've no idea where to get some. So i turn to you.

My project is to rotate an object outside once every 24 hours indefinitely. I thought I'd power a sealed quartz clock motor with solar energy. However aside from a 150µA @ 1.5V quartz clock motor from maplins and a mini 1.5V solar panel (0.5A though, too much?) I've stuck on what other items i need.

Is it as simple as buying a rechargable AA battery and connecting it to the solar panel and motor? At night, will the solar panel have charged the battery for it? Or do i need something for the panel to charge the battery first before powering the motor?

Thanks very much

Nic

0.5A is way overkill but it shouldn't damage the clock motor because it will just dray as much power as it needs.

With a current draw of just 150µA you should consider using a 22F supercapacitor rather than a battery.

Increase the solar panel voltage to 1.8V (to make up the diode loss), connect a low leakage Schottky diode in series with the solar panel, the the capacitor between the diode and 0V and the clock across the capacitor.

With a 0.5A solar cell the capacitor will charge to 1.5V in just over a minute.

I'd recommend using a smaller solar cell, simply because it's cheaper and lower current diodes will have a lower leakage current. A 25mA panel will charge a 22F capacitor to 1.5V in a under a quater of an hour and will enable you to use a very low leakage diode such as the BAT45.

A 22F capacitor should power the clock for 20 hours on one charge assuming the capacitor doesn't leak but in reality it'll be less.

Unfortunately I couldn't find the leakage current of the capacitors sold by Farnel.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2010/04/18815.pdf

Supercapacitors are much more expensive than batteries but they charge much more quickly and they simplify the design.

Supercapacitors are much more expensive than batteries but they charge much more quickly and they simplify the design.
How is a supercapacitor simpler to use than a rechargeable battery?

How is a supercapacitor simpler to use than a rechargeable battery?

It can be permanently connected to the solar cells.

Modern NiMH batteries tend to be very sensitive to overcharge.

Modern NiMH batteries tend to be very sensitive to overcharge.
True. But if you limit the maximum charge rate to below C/20 that should prevent any long-term damage to the battery, and still give more than enough energy to run the clock when the sun isn't shining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back