Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar powered security camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
I got ambitious today, and wired up and installed 5W solar panel, 1.3 Ah 12v battery, charge controller to a wireless automotive back-up camera. The day started with a clear sky, figured I'd put off the tire-fire for another time, it's been a while been a while since we had some good sun, decided to do something solar. But wouldn't you figure, shortly after finishing, the clouds start rolling in.

I ran the camera for quite a while off the battery, before getting the solar charging part hooked up, and it was down to 10.8 volts. It worked for a little while, but now it's on/off. I had only guessed that the battery and 5W panel would be enough to keep it going, and a few hours into the night. Have to give it a few day, and see if the battery catches up. Was pretty sure the camera draws 140mA, the panel puts out 320mA, should have 180mA to charge the battery. Need to find the specs for the camera, the 140mA might have been the little monitor that came with it. Other than being mirror image (reversed), not a bad $28 camera. I bought 2, now kind of wishing I had gotten a couple more. It's 2.4 GHz, and works fine with with another receiver. The monitor it comes with is about the same size as my digital camera, and unfortunately doesn't work on a 9v battery.

Not too bad if it works out, can swap out the panel with a 15W, but was hoping to keep those for another project. Kind of amazed that an in-car wireless camera would have such a powerful transmitter. It's a good 40 feet from the house, which is concrete block (filled on the outside walls).

I have **broken link removed** When I bought my truck from a friend he had installed it for his wife who hated that truck due to size. The monitor (receiver) with mine allows for changing the mirror image to normal with a few other settings.

Unfortunately I have no clue how much power the receiver or transmitter use as the little thing just lays in the truck and I never really use it. The camera is powered with 12 volts off the back up lights so when in reverse the receiver comes to life. I was surprised at the image quality of the little thing.

Something really funny is while driving locally every now and then the receiver comes to life with assorted images. Baby minders and all sorts of short range wireless video floating around out there. Really funny stuff sometimes. I was also surprised at how well it works in low light and adjust to lighting levels.

I keep planning to remove the camera from the license plate and drag it in the house to play around with. I see it as a free novelty that came with the truck. :)

Ron

For $28 dollars I'm curious as to what the specs are for these cameras? Like sensor size, horizontal lines, minimum lux, etc? Are you using them for CCTV recording, or just to see 'who's there'.

Also, what voltage does the panel put out, because you'll need 13-14V to actually charge the battery.

EDIT: I've found the 2.4GHz area to be very cluttered with various 'nanny cams' and such. When we cruise our boat down to Oriental, across the port there is a little shrimp operation. The have like 8 cams in the 2.4GHz range. I always bring my receiver and plug it onto my TV so I can snoop in on them! :D

Last edited:
For $28 dollars I'm curious as to what the specs are for these cameras? Like sensor size, horizontal lines, minimum lux, etc? Are you using them for CCTV recording, or just to see 'who's there'.

Also, what voltage does the panel put out, because you'll need 13-14V to actually charge the battery.

EDIT: I've found the 2.4GHz area to be very cluttered with various 'nanny cams' and such. When we cruise our boat down to Oriental, across the port there is a little shrimp operation. The have like 8 cams in the 2.4GHz range. I always bring my receiver and plug it onto my TV so I can snoop in on them! :D

Mine's an Audiovox ACA250, and got a huge surprise, they go for $90 from the manufacturer. I got mine surplus, store returns/refurbished. Guess somebody didn't do their homework. Always nice to get lucky like that, doubt I'll see that one again. Really should have gotten more, but two seemed good enough at the time. I could find the instructions, to see what the specs were, so looked them up on the web. Wasn't too specific, just <6 watts, could have been for both camera and monitor, or each... Will put a 15 watt panel on it tomorrow, maybe a 7Ah battery too (if I still have a good one).

My DVR only has 4 channels, but could swap one out. Also thought about using memory card video recorder (intended for use to convert VHS tapes, to burn on DVD). Not automatic, but it just sitting around. Wish I could mirror the output, so it looks right, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

Oh, and the flipped image is due to the use of a super-wide view lens, like 1mm. If you get a fish-eye lens, (2.8mm), you would still have a very wide view, without the flip.

Mine's an Audiovox ACA250, and got a huge surprise, they go for $90 from the manufacturer.

That was sweet! I had no clue what they cost till I looked up the unit I have. Man, am I glad my buddy left it in the truck! Now I really have to get out there and get that camera off the license plate of the truck. You got one nice deal (actually two nice deals. :) )

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back