Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powered LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

country club

I wanting to build a solar powered LED that will be able to illuminate a rectangular object approximately 2 ft wide by 10 ft in length.

How many watts do I need my LEDs to be and what type of battery would be able be able to support the LEDs?

You haven't provided enough information.

What colour?

How bright?

For how long?

Hero999 said:

What colour?

How bright?

For how long?

Also, do you want illuminate from inside the 2x10 foot generic 'object', or spotlight it from some similarly generic distance?

Is the 'object' light/reflective or dark?

Does the 'object' need to be just visible, or do you need enough light to view details, like on a sign?

The more specific details you provide, the more likely you will get a useful response, instead of more questions. Lots of people pass over thread with such mystery request, instead of even guessing at what you are trying to do. Why spend time working out a solution, not knowing if it will be immediately discarded as not what you had in mind. We have our own projects, but don't mind taking a break to help out others in need.

Re Solar Powered LED

Hero999 said:

What colour?

How bright?

For how long?

Thanks for the reply
1) White
2) Bright enough to illuminate a reflective sign outside my business
3) 12 hours (or throughout darkness)

Also, I'm wanting to attach the light to the sign to minimize the distance (about 2 ft from light to sign)

Re Solar Powered LED

HarveyH42 said:
Also, do you want illuminate from inside the 2x10 foot generic 'object', or spotlight it from some similarly generic distance?

Is the 'object' light/reflective or dark?

Does the 'object' need to be just visible, or do you need enough light to view details, like on a sign?

The more specific details you provide, the more likely you will get a useful response, instead of more questions. Lots of people pass over thread with such mystery request, instead of even guessing at what you are trying to do. Why spend time working out a solution, not knowing if it will be immediately discarded as not what you had in mind. We have our own projects, but don't mind taking a break to help out others in need.

Thanks for your reply. I hope these details will make it more clear.
1) Spotlight it from a generic distance. Maybe attach it to the sign to minimize the distance. 2 feet or so.
2)Object (sign) is reflective
3) Since the goal of the sign will be to advertise a business, I would like it to have enough light to read in detail.

lots of wires!

The total length of the object is 792cm (2X10X33)+(2X2X33) Considering an LED each 10cm the illumination will take 80 LEDs.

Instead I'd use 12V halogen spots. Four of them (even two might be sufficient) will do without messing around with wires.

Boncuk

That's very large, you'll need lots of LEDs to do that and a huge solar panel.

Whay can't you just use mains and a fluroscent tube?

given that a garden solar/led gives just about enough light to not trip over the flower beds, but not enough to read by, you're going to struggle.

and the garden lights don't work at all in the winter months, there just isn't enough sun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back