Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powered Ipod Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyr

First question - Which program do you guys use to draw a schematic?

What i'm thinking of is to use a Solar panel to charge an external Lithium Ion (Cheap, high power density) battery, which is used to charge an ipod.

USB is 5 volts at 100 mA - does anyone have any idea what the ipod can accept?

What ICs I have chosen for now is the **broken link removed** to regulate the voltage supply from the solar panel and a **broken link removed** to charge the battery.

Is the MAX757 redundant, seeing as the MAX1551 can accept quite a wide range of voltages?

What is the maximum/minimum voltages an iPod will be willing to accept? 4.8 - 5.5?

With the requisite blocking diode from the solar panel to the MAX1551/MAX757, can I just use their Typical Operating Circuit schematics without any additional electrical equipment?

Aside from a SPDT switch, how can I prevent the iPod from charging directly from the MAX1551 and not the battery? As a solar panel would probably not be very constant, and it would not be good for the iPod battery to be charged, stopped, charged.

Thanks.

I just thought about it - the regulator would probably be more useful at the battery to Ipod side, to offset NiMH's discharge curve.

Sorry - some help would really be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back