Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Powered Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinnie_c

Hi. I am building a solar powered charger. I am using two MPT6-75 solar panels; output v=6v, i=50mA, connected in parallel, for higher current. I want the output voltage to be 5v. So at first I used a 5v voltage regulator. But the charger is not working. I found out that for the regulator to work I need at least 7.5v to work. So then I read about a step-up/down regulator, MAX710. And thinking about it, this seemed more like the thing I would need because the panels give varying voltages from 0 up to 8v. However, I do not know how to use the MAX710. I have been reading the PDF but am confused. Would this work to supply a steady flow of 5v and anywhere between 500 and 100mA? Also, can you explain how to use the MAX710; do I have to make a circuit board to mount this on?
Thanks for any help.

vinnie_c said:
Hi. I am building a solar powered charger. I am using two MPT6-75 solar panels; output v=6v, i=50mA, connected in parallel, for higher current. I want the output voltage to be 5v. So at first I used a 5v voltage regulator. But the charger is not working. I found out that for the regulator to work I need at least 7.5v to work. So then I read about a step-up/down regulator, MAX710. And thinking about it, this seemed more like the thing I would need because the panels give varying voltages from 0 up to 8v. However, I do not know how to use the MAX710. I have been reading the PDF but am confused. Would this work to supply a steady flow of 5v and anywhere between 500 and 100mA? Also, can you explain how to use the MAX710; do I have to make a circuit board to mount this on?
Thanks for any help.

Lets see....
6V input at 50mA = 0.3W and 5V out at 100mA = 0.5W!

Well no, you wont be able to create energy from nothing. :D

How's about 5V output @ 48mA assuming 80% efficiency (not tough)

I know nothing of the MAX710 but first check your power calculations to see if it is physically possible.

The solar panels will produce 6V/50mA only at noon on June 21st on a very sunny day if the panels are pointing accurately at the sun. The output will be less in any other condition. It might take weeks to charge a battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back