Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar powered car

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paukets

Hey, I got a bunch of solar powered garden light and was thinking of making a solar powered toy car. Any ideas or diagrams?

How many volts/amps do they produce in full sunlight?

well the typical garden light has 1 AA battery in it. and yes you can make a solar powered car, i made a solar powered boat out of about 5 of the solar panels once. it just depends on the motor and terrain and of course weather.

1 AA? I have a solar light that had 4AA NIMH rechargeables with 1800ma of power (each AA had 1800ma)! The solar pannel was rated 5 volts at 100 ma though.

It would be easy to connect the solar pannel(s) up to a dc motor which would in turn power 2 wheels, creating a simple car.

Also, if you have a low power-demmand robot or circuit, bingo, power one of them.

Souper Man,
Rechargable batteries are rated in mAh, which is milli-amp hours, not mA. They can deliver 20A (20,000mA) or more for some seconds.
Your 1800mAh battery cells can supply 180mA for 10 hours and maybe 1A for 1 hour when fully charged.

New solar garden lights use a single 1.2V Ni-Cad battery cell, a small 2V solar cell, very efficient LEDs and a voltage stepup circuit.

how does the step up circuit work? all my lights only have 2 transistors and a couple of diodes and resistors? how many lights do you have to use, what motor are you using?

It's probably a Joul theif style circuit.

the thing that makes me think, is that there is no inductors of any kind:confused:

It probably uses capacitive voltage multiplier.

If not then one of the components that you think is a resistor is really an inductor!

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back