Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar powered battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

akshayd

dear members,

i was interested in charging a 6v, 4Ah battery using a 3Watt(6V, 0.5mAh) solar power panel... What would be the best way to do this.... Pls help me out with the circuits involved.

Regards,
akshayd

If it's got a diode built in, then just connect it directly across the battery, if it's not got a diode, then connect it through a diode.

I presume you mean 0.5A solar cell?, it won't have enough power to overcharge the battery!.

yes you are right

It is a 0.5A solar panel.... But, still do i not have to include a charging circuit that would prevent unnecessary discharging or maybe overcharging?

akshayd said:
It is a 0.5A solar panel.... But, still do i not have to include a charging circuit that would prevent unnecessary discharging or maybe overcharging?

A simple diode prevents discharging (as I mentioned above), and (as I also mentioned above) your panel isn't big enough to over charge it!. You will probably be very disappointed with how much power your panel will provide to the battery - most people are!.

You need more than 6V to charge the battery; you cell needs to be at least 7.6V to fully charge it, assuiming it's a lead acid battery that is.

the solar panel will produce 6V at 0.5A only at noon on the equator on a bright sunny day. Any other time or behind clouds or behind a window's glass will reduce its output a lot.
Your battery will never be fully charged and will charge a little for only about 1 hour each bright sunny day.

though it is specified as a 3W module.... when i observed the output voltage across it terminals.... it was around 9 V at noon.... but the current output was only around 400mA. I also wanted to know, if i reduced the battery capacity, what kind of charging circuit i might have to employ?

I also wanted to know, if i reduced the battery capacity, what kind of charging circuit i might have to employ
It depends on the chemistry of the battery... LeadAcid, NICAD, NIMH, LithiumIon, etc

akshayd said:
though it is specified as a 3W module.... when i observed the output voltage across it terminals.... it was around 9 V at noon.... but the current output was only around 400mA. I also wanted to know, if i reduced the battery capacity, what kind of charging circuit i might have to employ?

You first need to accurately record what the panel will actually provide over a number of days - it's probably too small to overcharge anything much!.

There are plenty of controller designs about if you google - but not for anything as small as you've got, because there's no need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back