Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar powered 2 pin RGB LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucky-Luka

Hi all
I have an RGB LED led that needs more or less 3 volts to perform correctly its light routine.
Can I use for my project a 3.3V zener diode?
Only using the rectifier diode and the cap as a buffer the voltage would be a rather constant 4.8V.
Cheers

Attachments

• circuit.png
    circuit.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 223
Most likely not, LED's are current driven not voltage driven - you need more than it's specified voltage and limit the current it takes. As a minimum, and if the supply voltage is constant, then a simple resistor (calculated with ohms law) is all that's needed.

I forgot that LEDs are current driven. I've modified the circuit and it works just fine now. I've used a schottky diode for more luminosity. The LED draw 10mA more or less. Where would you put an ON/OFF switch?

Attachments

• circuit2.png
    circuit2.png
    16.8 KB · Views: 229
The high current zener diode you selected needs 76mA!!
The datasheet for the QX5252 shows the circuit without a zener diode since an LED or a colors-changing LED limits the voltage.
The datasheet shows that your circuit's 47uH inductor limits the current to fairly high 75mA pulses when the battery is 1.3V. I have many solar garden lights using the QX5252 IC and most use a 82uH inductor. A few use a 47uH inductor, are brighter and last for years.

Your multimeter probably cannot accurately measure the average current of the high frequency poorly filtered pulses., and the activity of your colors-changing LED might slowly dim or pulse the LEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back