Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I was reading an electronics magazine and one article was about using local pound stores as a source of photovoltaic cells. Everything is cheap (obviously) and there are a whole host of solar-powered stuff (radios..etc, depending on which store you visit).

Before I spend any money, I have already searched the forum, and found many who want to use large solar panels for houses with large lead-acid batteries.
I just want to explore these panels, and will only build a small, low power astable to flash an LED or something. So, I want to ask:
How do I store the charge without a massive battery?

I don't know anything about photovoltaic cells, but ideally, I would have a bunch of small panels which constantly charge a 'battery' (?) or equivalent, while the astable circuit is connected to the battery.

Am I being too optimistic about the world of solar panels? Like I said before, I am new to electronics and don't know anything about photovoltaic cells.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: After reading up some more, Li-pol and Li-ion batteries seem to be in good supply and are small and light. Has anyone had any experience with these types of batteries? IMO the simpler the better. Thanks

Last edited:
I think I would stick to NiCad batteries. They are cheap and will tolerate some overcharge. I could see 4 AA's running a Cmos 555 and an led or 2. Add solar panels until you see some charge current - maybe 0.1 amps or so.

Cheap solar garden lights use a small solar cell to charge a single AAA or AA Ni-Cad cell during daylight and use the solar cell or a light-dependent-resistor to activate a voltage increaser circuit which lights an LED at night.

Ni-Cad cells are very cheap because they are toxic and almost obsolete.
Li-Po cells are fairly expensive. A Li-Po cell must never be discharged too low or charged too high.

Some full-size electric cars and my electric model airplanes use Li-Po battery cells.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back