Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar panels that can be bought online

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Hello

Are typical solar panels which can be bought online worth getting for something like providing emergency power for camps or deployed troops or similar situations? How much power do they give? And do they come in many variations where some will give 12 volts and others will give out 24 volts for example? And do they always give out DC ? Or do we have types that will give AC by converting DC? Also, are there types which have a mechanism to store energy so that they can still provide power for some time after sunset?

Can you please suggest me a good decent unit I can play with before going all out? Eventually, I want to power part of my future home with solar panels. I think it will be a really fun project to do.

Thanks.

Last edited:
First off you need to have your location filled in - use of solar panels is highly location dependent.

But essentially, to be at all financially viable, solar panels (or sell back rates) need to be subsidised by your government - and you need to be selling the surplus energy produced (as most is produced when you don't need it) back to your electricity supplier.

First off you need to have your location filled in - use of solar panels is highly location dependent.

But essentially, to be at all financially viable, solar panels (or sell back rates) need to be subsidised by your government - and you need to be selling the surplus energy produced (as most is produced when you don't need it) back to your electricity supplier.

Well, location is UAE in the middle east for now, but let's forget powering the house for now. Let's talk about camping and using solar panels as a hobbyist.

Well, location is UAE in the middle east for now, but let's forget powering the house for now. Let's talk about camping and using solar panels as a hobbyist.

So you've got plenty of sun then? :D

Buy a panel and experiment with it - bear in mind that rated powers on panels are absolute maximums - think midday, a cloudless sky where you are, with the panel accurately aligned.

Generally people are disappointed with how much power they get from panels, they expect much more.

I have found solar panels to be quite practical for emergency use. A $350 dollar panel will supply about 4 amps in full sunlight. They can charge a decent size battery on a summer day. They can also overcharge a battery so you have to keep an eye on them or have a regulator.
Generally people are disappointed with how much power they get from panels, they expect much more.
People don't realize how much power a household can use. For emergency periods you can cut back I suppose.
In the winter they don't supply very much and during a week of rain almost nothing. So in the winter you will need a backup.
The real expense with solar panels is battery replacement and maintaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back