Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar panel bypass diode in series circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
when connect solar panel in parallel they should be a bypass diode put in the circuit.
So the question is when connect solar panel in series if put bypass diode in the circuit would the solar panel still work just as good with bypass diode in circuit or been that this is a series circuit put diode in the circuit would make solar panel produces less volts.
Mrel

Hi, excuse me for asking this but - what language do you speek and what translation engine do you use?
Try to draw the two circuits instead, add the drawings to the forum, name them and then refer to the drawings. Make things a little more easy.

I think I can feel what question you was supposed to ask, but I rather waits for you to rephrase the question.

The bypass diode connects in parallel with the panel. The diode connected in series with the panel is the blocking diode, as shown in the following diagrams. You only need a single blocking diode for each series string of panels, so you will only lose voltage from a single diode in each string.
**broken link removed**
(ref: **broken link removed**)

For multiple strings of solar panels:
**broken link removed**

The bypass diode connects in parallel with the panel. The diode connected in series with the panel is the blocking diode, as shown in the following diagrams. You only need a single blocking diode for each series string of panels, so you will only lose voltage from a single diode in each string.
**broken link removed**

For multiple strings of solar panels manufactured by solar panels manufacturer:

**broken link removed**
Really thanks for sharing out the circuit diagram..I will try to understand bypass diode concept in better way and apply it soon,.

Last edited:
To understand the bypass diode, you have to consider shading of the panels from clouds etc. If a string gets shaded in that excellent figure that dougy83 posted, the voltage will be lower. This is the similar case of batteries in parallel with a weak battery the other "cells" or arrays try to "charge" the shaded panels.

So, the bypass diode is required to protect against shading,

The blocking diode prevents the battery from charging the solar cells. i.e. When the cells are in the dark.
The blocking diode may not be required with a properly designed charge controller.

==

dougy83: Great pic! No explanation as to why. You got the how right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back