Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

solar engine fled trigger question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckt-boarder

I recently built the solar engine shown below:

**broken link removed**

with a 3k resistor, a 4200uF capacitor, 2 calculator solar panels and an old CD player motor. Under a table lamp, the capacitor charges for about 25 seconds, then the FLED starts flashing, after another 15 seconds the motor spins. What I don't understand, is if the FLED is flashing then why doesn't the motor spin immediately afterwards?

Have you looked at the motor draw?
That 50 mA of current flows into the base of the NPN and is amplified by about 10 to drive the motor. As long as the motor draws no more than 500 mA this circuit will work fine. If the motor current is much less, then increase the resistor value correspondingly. If the motor draws more current then uses a smaller resistor. Be sure to use a PN2222 or equal for the NPN for current greater than 200 mA.

I plugged my multimeter in series with the motor, and when it spun, the meter showed 0 mA. My guess is my meter isn't quick enough to show how much current the motor is drawing.

No, unfortunately there's no label on the motor. I found the motor in my junk box, and I think it came from an old cd player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back