Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaycool1995

Hi,
I am trying to make a usb charger. There are going to be two solar panels @3v 20mah in series, they will be trickle charging two 3v AAA batteries. What i am not sure about is how to stop the batterys from overcharging. I thought i could use zener. Help would be much appreciated, and possibly schematics. Any info extra infomation i have missed just say. :D
Thanks,

Hi. You do not say the type of cells. The cells should be in parallel during the charge, also connected in parallel to a zener diode to limit voltage if the cells chemistry asks for constant voltage charge. I use 1N5335B in parallel to Li-Ion's and works superb.

For constant current charge chemistry cells, a low-drop current regulator should work and cells should be charged individually.

Miguel

Hi,
I am trying to make a usb charger. There are going to be two solar panels @3v 20mah in series, they will be trickle charging two 3v AAA batteries. What i am not sure about is how to stop the batterys from overcharging. I thought i could use zener. Help would be much appreciated, and possibly schematics. Any info extra infomation i have missed just say. :D
Thanks,

If you're trickle charging you don't need to do anything, the entire point of trickle charging is that you can leave them charging permanently and they will never over charge.

You're also not going to overcharge anything with those puny cells! :D

As Nigel says, 20ma is not going to overcharge the cells. However, they won't fully charge them in a day either, so don't forget to put a diode in series with the solar cells so they don't discharge the batteries when the sun goes down.

Last edited:
As Nigel says, 20ma is not going to overcharge the cells. However, they won't fully charge them in a day either, so don't forget to put a diode in series with the solar cells so they don't discharge the batteries when the sun goes down.

Schottky diode to keep the losses to a minimum

Robert-Jan

When will the solar part come up?

AAA Ni-MH cells are 850mah. They are usually charged at 85mA for 14 hours or trickle-charged at 21mA.
The solar cell is rated on the equator of earth at noon with it pointing directly at the sun.
You might get 15mA at noon then 10mA for a couple of hours berfore and after noon.
Then it will take 2 weeks of sunny days to charge dead cells.

The solar cell is rated on the equator of earth at noon with it pointing directly at the sun.

... at the first point of Aries!

(when sun crossed the equator in spring time (for the Northern hemisphere))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back