Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar charging NiZn batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

huzefasi

PowerGenix Nickel-Zinc Charge Procedure
Two Step Charge
Constant Current: From c/2 to C rate in Amps to 1.9V/Cell
Constant Voltage: 1.9V/Cell to Current < 90mA
Fault Conditions
Total charge time exceeds 2.5 hrs
Temperature of the cell rises by more than 15C
Voltage is less than 1.6V
Notes: For Laboratory Testing: Non temperature compensation at 25°C +/_ 3 degrees

I am waiting for AAA batteries coming out by end of summer. I want to use these in my EOS headlamp as well as to charge my iphone outdoors.

Setup: 330mAh@6V solar panel charging 3xAAA NiZn batteries (series connected). Iphone is connected to the batteries.

My concerns:
Overcharging: Because they batteries are under load (charging my iphone) they can never touch 1.9V (5.7V in series). Is this safe? I would appreciate a technical explanation if it is not.

During simultaneous charge of nizn battery and iphone what is the direct source of power charging the iphone? solar charger or the batteries? I dont think connecting iphone directly with a solar panel is a good idea.

If the iphone draws more then 500 mah, there is possibility that the battery voltage will fall below 1.6v which is mentioned as "fault charging condition". Any ideas to prevent iphone from drawing more then 500mah??

Thanks,
Huzefa

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back