Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

xXAxHillbillyXx

Ok so I am wanting to make my cellphone charge on solar power. It will fit on the cell phones case and has to have a total footprint of 44.449mm X 63.5mm or smaller. here is what i did first i ordered these solar cells and figured i would put them in series with a LDO voltage regulator to put out 5 volts. I am not really that concerned about the current going to the phone because i do not expect the battery to acctually go up in charge. I am just looking to basically "trickle charge" it so it wont die as fast. The problem came when I didnt realize that when a load was with the solar cells the Vout dropped dramatically. It dropped to the point that it wouldent kick up to the 5 volts to start the charge unless i had a very bright light right on it. so here are my questions: 1. Does anyone know where I can get the solar cells I need that put out enough voltage and current that can be regulated and fit in the footprint? 2. could I use the solar cells i have in conjuction with this to get the voltage I need to trigger the charging? 3. Is there a different solar cell i can use in conjuction with the boost drive? I am open to any suggestions as long as they fit in the footprint and dont stick up to high. I do not believe that my solar cells will pu out the voltage required byt he boost circuit in normal light... so any suggestions on some cells that will would be great... once again im not expecting this to charge all the time.. just when i get somewhere with enought light to kick it on.. and i do not expect this to make it so that i never have to put my phone on the normal charger.. just want it to not die as fast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back