Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

masab

i have built a solar cell phone charger circuit using many solar cells They provide 36V/1.5A at maximum,
but when i connect the regulator IC 7806, the current and voltage of the cells drop to 8V/300mA, when i connect the mobile to charge they further drop to 4.7V/200mA,which slows the charging process.........whats the problem,why does the power drop soo much?

What is the rating on a single solar cell of the type you are using?

You likely need to connect your cells in a series-parallel configuration.

Last edited:
there isnt any rating on those solar cells...they r just the size of ur smallest finger...and approx 5cm wide...i have 12 of them and connected them in series with an IC7806...does the IC cause the source voltage and current to drop?

Twelve solar cells "the size of your smallest finger" are not likely to generate 36V at 1.5A. It is more likely that they produce only 1.5mA.

The cells you have are either 100mA or 200mA. But this current is only available when the sun is shining very brightly.
Normally you will get about 50 to 100mA. Each cell produces about 0.5v So 12 cells will produce 6v.

When the voltage regulator is connected with its pins wrong or with the input and output capacitors shown on its datasheet missing then it draws a high current.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back