Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar cell help

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBNSA

Ok so I have started a little project of converting a battery powered system to a solar cell powered system. The power requirements I need from the solar cells can vary from 9-12 volts and i need from .9-1.1 amps. I want to use the smallest cells as possible (cells like: Super Power Solar Cell-The Electronic Goldmine or **broken link removed**) I have approximately 40 square inches of surface area to use. Is this even possible, what im asking? If so im not sure on how to link the cells together in the right way to give me the power im looking for.

According to the first datasheet you would need at least 66 cells, two strings of 33 in series, placed in parallel to double the power.

However, that's presumably absolutely maximum peak power, only achieved for a very small part of the day during the middel of summer.

It really depends exactly what you are trying to do, and how long it needs to run for?.

Generally you use the cells to charge your battery, and not run directly.

Well the project is this: I play paint ball often, lets say every week and I use a high end marker (gun), the rate of fire is so high i have to use an electronic loader to feed it paint balls. I live in Florida and its the summer time at the moment so its really sunny out, so I thought i'd try converting an extra loader of mine into a solar powered unit. The loader at minimum needs a current draw of .5A but at peak performance could use 1.1A. It uses 6 AA batteries in a series to power it. Now looking around for other small high performance cells I found these Multi-function Solar Emergency Charger--Red - $11.03 : , wholesale from china, if i put 2-3 of those cells in series could i theoretically get what im asking for? (assuming peak power output and on a really clear day and noon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back