Software tool for parts and BOM Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdkulkarni

Hello, I am wondering what tools are used by all the people out there for BOM and parts management.

I am trying to setup some software that will help a team of about 5 to 8 engineers that will be developing boards. It would be nice if the libraries for the parts can be created once and referenced by everyone. This means that everyone is using a common name for the parts in the library. While excel is a good enough starting point, the file gets corrupted very easily just with 5 people. There is also no way to do good BOM management in excel.

What other tools are in use for this application?

It sounds like you need something like TortoiseSVN https://tortoisesvn.net/ , or MS Sourcesafe. Can be used for any file, be it Excel or a library file, source code....

They're source/version control programs which control things like that and prevent corruption/overwriting/loss of work etc. Very powerful for source code where multiple users are on the same project and need controlled access to the source files.

I recommend using a shared workbook in Excel. When a user tries to save their data it will show them what other changes have been made in the meantime, and I believe gives them the option to update first before saving their own.

From Office tech support:

And from the help documentation:

Hope this helps

Matt

For Schematic and PCB design, our team uses Altium.
We use SVN and Tortoise to share our created components.
When our proj is done, we can easily extract the BOM and gerber files!

Altium is like $7000. US, unless your using a pirated version. NI Multisim Blue premium is more affordable, it directly ties your schematic and BOM. If you use Mouser then many of the components are already in the database so when you schematic is complete, you can place your order directly to Mouser via a simple upload of the BOM. The Eval version of Multisim blue is free but is limited to 65 parts and a single schematic page even though the advertisement says different. The eval is only good for very small designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…