Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software for in-class demonstrations for apprentice electricians?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chumly

Hi again,

I teach at a local technical institute. What might be the best, easiest to use software for in-class demonstrations of the below culprits? I would want interactive animations of all these sorts of things as well as interactive calculators etc.

Understand that I deal with 100 KVA transformers, 50 HP three phase motors etc much more than I do integrated circuits and more complex discrete electronics.

You see I teach apprentice electricians not electronics students, so the scope (pun) is much wider and much more heavy-duty, large-device, power-distribution oriented than the usual electronics-only type course material.

I briefly looked at NI LabVIEW in the classroom as per the below URL
Using NI LabVIEW in the Classroom - National Instruments

However NI LabVIEW does not seem to reference 1) to 12) and seems to be too focused on only electronics. I am not even sure if NI LabVIEW would suit my needs for a) to p) for that matter!

1) Three wire single phase power distribution
2) Four wire three phase power distribution
3) All DC and AC generators
4) All DC and AC motors
5) Single phase power distribution transformers
6) Three phase power distribution transformers
7) Oscilloscope animations
8) Function generator animations
9) Basic electronic circuit animations
10) Waveform analysis of sine wave square waves, triangle waves, pulse waves,
11) Motor Control
12) Power Factor

a) Ohms Law
b) Kirchhoff's Laws
c) Nodal analysis
d) RLC circuits
e) Series & parallel resonance
f) Inductive reactance
g) Inductive capacitance
h) Capacitive reactance
i) Capacitors
j) Inductors
k) Basic discrete electronic circuits (not IC's)
l) Watts Law
m) Faraday's Law
n) Left hand rules
o) Right Hand Rules
p) Etc

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hello falstad,

Yep I have seen that site many times.

Yep I have done extensive Internet searches and have collected any number of animations, calculators, and related applets. Understand I am looking of something that is an integrated whole and has a consistent and common feel and look.

As of yet I have not found this Holy Grail and I do not think I'll find it by further Googling. I have been regularly Googling for this type of thing for two years now and know most all of them!

Last edited:
It looks like you're going to have to use several pieces of software.

I like LTSpice which can do most of the above, apart from motors and generators but it's not very interactive so it's probably not much use to you. It does have some powerful tools such as Fourier transforms and expressions of voltages and currents around the circuit can be plotted.

We used to use Electronics Workbench at collect (now multisim), although it's mainly electronics related, it can be useful for electrical.

At school we used to use Crocodile Clips (now Yenka). It's very interactive, motors and generators can be connected to gears and spun round, speed and torque can be displayed. I still use it now, mostly for schematics. I'm not keen on the new user interface, it'll probably take awhile to get used to. Unfortunately it seems to be restricted to DC motors but the new version could be better, I don't know. It can be freely downloaded but to legally use it in the classroom you have to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back