Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software for basic electronic circuit design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stovebolter

Do you have any suggestions for a simple software program for building basic circuits? I've been looking on CNET's site for a simple easy to use free program to get me started. Then later as I grow....upgrade. There are soo many. Not sure what to use.

I'll be working mostly in relays, timers, and counters. I just found a couple of my old basic electronics books. Got to remember. We just got a start in Windows when I graduated. I have no trouble getting around on the keyboard and internet but havent applied it to electronic circuits.

Any ideas? I'm all ears.

Dave

Hero999 said:
You've already asked this question in another thread.
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/hello-to-all-new-to-forum.36012/

Please don't ask the same question more than once, it gets irritating.

I just thought I should seperate the questions I was asking. I was told that I'd get better responses. Maybe I'm way over my head. This has been the worst learning experience I have had thus far on an internet forum. I'll get out of everyones hair. Sorry for being beneath everyone. I am just trying to learn.

Dave

LOL, don't sweat it. We've all made forum etiquette goofs. Just read the stickys at the top of the forums. Sometimes a good reply make take a day or two.

blueroomelectronics said:
LOL, don't sweat it. We've all made forum etiquette goofs. Just read the stickys at the top of the forums. Sometimes a good reply make take a day or two.

Thanks. I'll check my subscriptions in a day or two. Oh....and I like your website link! I've got soo much to learn, but looking forward to it. All I know...are the most basics of circuitry and a little logic background. Its been soo long.

Have you been sending us all that cold air lately? LOL's. We're not use to the single digit weather. I'm sure your use to it though. Stay warm!

Dave

Last edited:
Stovebolter said:
I just thought I should seperate the questions I was asking. I was told that I'd get better responses. Maybe I'm way over my head. This has been the worst learning experience I have had thus far on an internet forum. I'll get out of everyones hair. Sorry for being beneath everyone. I am just trying to learn.

Dave
No problem, they were just being helpful.

I think they were just suggesting that you should post different questions in separate threads. I don't think they meant you to make any new threads.

Don't worry about it, you've not been here for long, so we'll let you off. We've just had people that post the same question ten times and I'm sure you won't be one of them,

Hero999 said:
No problem, they were just being helpful.

I think they were just suggesting that you should post different questions in separate threads. I don't think they meant you to make any new threads.

Don't worry about it, you've not been here for long, so we'll let you off. We've just had people that post the same question ten times and I'm sure you won't be one of them,

LOL's. And I'm sorry for getting upset. I'm starting to feel real old. You know the old adage....An old dog learning new tricks. That's me. But I'm going to try to have fun learning it. I'm starting to think I need to take a refresher coarse at the local college but I really don't have time. So, I've been hitting my old books, pulling internet resources (schematics), and this forum to get a start. Thanks. And no....I won't ask the same question again in another thread. My bad!

I found and downloaded Circuit Shop. It doesnt have basic relays. I'll try something else. It does have the abilty to pretest circuits though. Remember....I might as well be totally new. Working with a simple switch to turn on a light. LOL's. Maybe not that simple but almost like starting over.

Dave

I used to use Electronics Workbench but I recently moved over to LTSpice which can run on Linux under WINE and is freeware.

Hero999 said:
I used to use Electronics Workbench but I recently moved over to LTSpice which can run on Linux under WINE and is freeware.

I downloaded it. I find...I still have to learn how to get around in it as well. LOL's. Thanks.

Dave

Electronics Workbench isn't freeware.

The new version is Multisim and isn't cheap. I don't know if they still make the old version. You might be able to download it from various warez sites but that's illegal and we can't promote that kind of thing.

Another thing, I'm not having a go but you can respond to many people in one post, it just makes it easier to read. Use copy and paste and [quote=poster's name]Put the quotation here.[/quote] tags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stovebolter said:
I downloaded it. I find...I still have to learn how to get around in it as well. LOL's. Thanks.

Dave
Just keep in mind that simulations won't teach electronics. If you have no advance idea of what the result should look like, you will not know whether the results are correct or not. You may have heard the expression, garbage in=garbage out, or with some software, garbage in=sophisticated garbage out. I don't want to discourage you from simulation, but there is no substitute for hardware on the bench. Simulation can save you a lot of time and money if you don't live near a parts house, but, as I said, you need to know what you are doing.
I personally use LTspice for simulation.

Roff said:
Just keep in mind that simulations won't teach electronics. If you have no advance idea of what the result should look like, you will not know whether the results are correct or not. You may have heard the expression, garbage in=garbage out, or with some software, garbage in=sophisticated garbage out. I don't want to discourage you from simulation, but there is no substitute for hardware on the bench. Simulation can save you a lot of time and money if you don't live near a parts house, but, as I said, you need to know what you are doing.
I personally use LTspice for simulation.

I still remember the basics of resistance, inductance, capacitance, etc. I just havent applied them in many years. I tried to find my old text books but I think my ex threw it out.....you know what I mean. I was just hoping some of the sims would jar my memory a little for basic switched circuits. Since I've been on here I've seen a lot of things that jar my memory already. The Shotsky, Wein bridge, and Zener to name a few. I still somewhat remember thier uses and their results. I use to love messing with the 555/556 timers and Op-amps. I just need to find a Mouser book and a good text book and study up. Still remember logic gates a little....NAND NOR OR AND etc. I just need to reestablish what I learned 15 years ago. LOL's. I can actually use it to create some nifty gadgets for my street rod project but also apply it to my job for alarm inputs. The alarm inputs for the Nortel DMS-10 and DMS-100 are really fairly straight forward...but none the less....I need to relearn a lot.

I intend to buy a workbench breadboard soon. I know that is the best method.

Thanks,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back