Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft Start Using a PFET

Status
Not open for further replies.
I played around with MOSFETs with no success. Here is a circuit that simulates really well. Your output voltages will be about ±6.1V with 70mA loads, which I am betting will be just fine.
You can change the slew rate by changing R1 (make it a pot) and/or C1. You might also have to change C2, which is there to prevent oscillations.
If you change the slew rate of +out, the slew rate of -out will follow it.
Having slow turn-on power supplies does not gaurantee that you will have no pops on your audio, but I guess it's worth a shot.:)
The voltage-controlled switches are for simulation only.

I have included the .asc file, which is the simulation file for LTspiceIV.

Wow... speechless.

Just WOW.

That's INCREDIBLE, Ron ! I never expected this !

I thought worst case, I'd get a "go do your homework, young man!" and at best, some electronic advice, which would have been perfectly fine... but THIS ?!

Wow. Thank you so much, Ron ! You're a very generous man !

A surprise-job-offer came up (a coupla days) that will keep me from breadboarding this right now (& I do have to find some LM6132 or -34), but I'll get back to you with my results. I'll still try to tinker with the MOSFET idea, 'though (I like its elegance and simplicity), IDK...

Meanwhile, Ron: Thanks again ! I owe you ! Lots !

Sincerely,
Joël

EDIT: hey, I just got IT ! R on, R off... ROFLMAO, great !

Last edited:
YA-HOO ! Guess what ? Nailed it !

Hey, Ron (and everyone) !

I finally had some time-off the big job contract and got time to fool around some on the ol' breadboard; I went at it with the P & NFETs first (just had to give it a go, 'though you mentionned not having any success with them... I have to admit, I'm a stubborn kinda guy: no pain-no game, right ?)

So: out a selected output of a MC14017 decade counter (everybody powered Vdd +7 volts/Vss -7 volts) into a simple 10k/10uF RC network (yielding a ramp-up & a little slower ramp-down when going "low"; no biggie) into the NFET (IRF531) through a 22k; the same "positive-going" ramp is fed into a CD4069 inverter (providing the "opposite" ramp) into the PFET (IRF9531) through a 22k as well. Both gates have a 100k to their respective polarity to keep everybody from "flapping in the wind", as it were.

Simple enough, I sez to myself; well...

Works-a-TREAT !

I selected the highest-gain patch I could find on the VG-99 guitar processor (worst-case scenario, I thought) to make darn sure any little click!/pop! would be real ovious... not a peep ! Soft-start AND soft-stop, with the added bonus: I get the full 14 volts swing, with lotsa power to spare, thanks to the FETs. Just have to triplicate for a 1-out-of-3 GK guitar selector... yeah !

So, I would like to thank Mike the OP, Ron, Chris, crutschow; most everyone who pitched-in and got the ball rolling on my little project (there I go sounding like an oscar winner !). I know y'all do it for free, out of sheer generosity (Ron: that schematic sure is outta-sight; sorry I didn't go that way)... rest assured YOU ALL make a BIG difference. I can only hope to make other contributions in the future, sharing with other enthusiasts of the electron brotherhood !

Peace,
Joël

Last edited:
Well: ALMOST got it...

After the initial hoo-ray!/eureka! and all that jazz, I noticed the IRF531 was a little more fussy/noisy on the ramp-up than the PFET :confused: ... I tweaked (in bold) the values to get the best s/n ratio (which I have to admit is done using a worst-case/nightmare scenario: a mega-supa-ultra-distorto-bomb-of-a-guitar-"patch") And I'm within 90mA of the full 14 volts. Not bad for an amateur... inn'it ?

"So: out a selected output of a MC14017 decade counter (everybody powered Vdd +7 volts/Vss -7 volts) into a simple 56k/10uF RC network (yielding a ramp-up & a little slower ramp-down when going "low"; no biggie : I added a reversed bias diode parallel to the 56k to accelerate discharge) into the NFET (IRF531) through a 300k to the gate, being pulled up using a 150k -still tweaking those; the same "positive-going" ramp is fed into a CD4069 inverter (providing the "opposite" ramp) into the PFET (IRF9531) through a 100k to the gate, which is pulled up using a 1 Meg. The PFET is very clean."

-Dam ! Ah' knew dem FETs woulda gave me a hard time; grrrrr.

Bye for now,
Joël

I'm sooo CLOSE !...

O.K.: I'm declaring myself officially stumped. (well, not so much anymore: see edit)

The IRF9531 PFET in my GK guitar-selection circuit is behaving flawlessly: just an ever-so-slight "swoosh" (on the +7 volts ramp-up&down) that is barely discernable amidst the baground noise... perfectly acceptable. On to the IRF531 NFET now.

I can't for-the-life-of-me make it behave.

I read through the datasheet. Made sure the GDS pinout was fine. I'm aware of the S-to-D parasitic diode. It does the -7 volts ramp down&up sort-of O.K., only not so noiselessly. Fine so far.

BUT, stange thing is: when I unplug an unselected GK guitar, the meter shows the negative line (which is "up" to zero) rocketing to -7 volts :( ... when I plug-in again: a "cRUnCh!" in the audio of the currently selected guitar (logical, of course) and the -7 shoots back to 0 ! The positive side exhibits no such behaviour ! :confused:

Checked, double-checked, trouble-shooted, verified, analysed, subbed other IRF531...

What are the NFET and I doing wrong ? I'm this close to success... help, pretty-please ?

Joël

EDIT: Now, both FETs have a 1 M from control-ramp up/down (+7 volts Vdd<-> -7 volts Vss) to gate as well as a parallel 1 M & 1U (np) to their respective polarity (values sounding good ? Any tips, advice for best s/n ratio ?); The "sshwoomph!" is still noticeable, 'though; wish it was perfect, of course, but... oh well). Oh... and the strange behaviour is -GONE

"I wish you'd stop trying to pin your crimes on me." -IRF531

Last edited:
Any TO-92 p-channel equivalent to n-ch BS170 ?

Hi y'all !

I'm having great success with my simple little +/-7 volts "slow power-up/down" circuit but realized the n & p-ch power MOSFETS I picked for experimenting (cheap and plentyful IRF531 & IRF9531) are a tad overkill and bulky...

I subbed a small BS170 for the IRF531 (at 500mA/1.2ohm Rds-on, gets the job done just fine; and since the whole thing is housed in a small (1590B) Hammond box, the TO-92 package shoor' is appreciated !) So I'd be looking into a "common-place" p-channel equivalent; any ideas ?

See ya !
Joël

P.S.: could also be an altogether different n & p-channel pair... ? very low Rds-on... ? maybe a dual-matched package... ? IDK ! I'm really just waking up to the world of MOSFETs, so would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks a lot !

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back