Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soft start and maybe soft stop for DC Well Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnatl

I have been digging and tinkering to come up with a soft start and soft stop for a 24 VDC at 5 amps well pump . The reason is that I want it to start up with as little torque as possible . This is what wears and tears on the suspension, wiring, and piping . So far I have using a power MOSFET gated by a RC time circuit with additional bypass IDEC "Ice Cubes" . Ideas and suggestions ? This is a first post .

My best guess would be to soft start ramping up to full speed using PWM (Pulse Width Modulation). Then ramp down for stop. I would likely choose a small easy to program micro chip. This is far from my forte but something like a small uC driving a Logic Level Gate MOSFET. Ramp up and ramp down. Generally I do not suggest using a uC but this application seems to beg for using one. Again, I am far from a PIC programming guru but we do have several members here who are quite good with them.

Ron

Last edited:
I am trying to go way back to the future with controls easily understood by Ag work force . They need to also be way high survivabilty for EMP both the conspiracy foretold and the God made too well Georgia Lightning . I had not thought about the thermister and it would be a good thing to encorporate in the solution .

www.Jameco.com has a PWM motor control kit for about $20. It has inherent soft start logic even if you operate it at a set speed. I used it to drive a solenoid near an extremely thin like a millimeter or so, $1000 piece of glass (filter) and i was really happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back