Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So how you southerners liking all this snow and cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
I have been watching the news this morning and getting good solid laugh about all the cold and snow concerns from down in the southern part of the USA from the last few days.

Where I am from what you are getting is what we consider to be just our typical fall and spring weather. :D

You have 60 more degrees to cool off yet and several feet of snow to accumulate before we start felling any sympathy. Not trying to be rude but just informing you that some of us have far worse conditions we deal with for months at a time instead of only days at a time. ;)

Snow? Cold? 81 degrees currently, little cloudy and windy, might rain later. Unless we get a GW cold blip, like last year, our winter is over. Just got done giving the dog a bath, and considering taking him for a walk to get him dried off. Thought about mowing the lawn, but figured it won't be much worse next week.

I was kind of hoping Obama's Super-Bowl party would have gotten snowed out though. Last we he talked about cutting government waste and spending, while planning his biggest football party ever. Wonder how much this one will cost???

I am a little concerned about some bad thunderstorms this spring. We had one last week, with tornadoes. Seems like where the hot and cold meet, bad things happen, and it seems like there is a big temperature difference coming together.

I have been watching the news this morning and getting good solid laugh about all the cold and snow concerns from down in the southern part of the USA from the last few days.

Where I am from what you are getting is what we consider to be just our typical fall and spring weather. :D

You have 60 more degrees to cool off yet and several feet of snow to accumulate before we start felling any sympathy. Not trying to be rude but just informing you that some of us have far worse conditions we deal with for months at a time instead of only days at a time. ;)

Dear tcmtech

I want you to know that you have proven to be a great inspiration to me. Every time I ***** about the winters here in Cleveland, Ohio I think about Sawyer, North Dakota. This place is the tropics compared to where you are. Currently it is snowing again out there with 6 to 8 inches due but it is balmy in the mid 20s right now. Hell, for you 6 to 8 is a few flurries. :)

Thank you again for reminding me that even though I hate winters and Cleveland sucks, it could be worse.

Ron

I feel sorry for US southerners.
It is colder there than here in Canada.
We have furnaces and winter clothes. They don't.
One southerner was "shovelling" snow with a broom or a fan. He was wearing summer clothes and was freezing.
Cars, trucks and buses were slipping and sliding all over the place.
I hope not many people got frostbite that destroys nerves permanently.

I feel sorry for all you westerners who regularly got bitten by extreme cold and snow. Try something 'hot' that makes you warm :)

Threre's a place called 'Munnar' around 100Kms from me where snowfall occurs during winter(December - Jan) and this year it didn't happen. Should be global warming! and year by year temperature increases. I think pollution(both air and environmental like plastics) and temperature rises are the main threats to the future humanity. I think still things are on our way that we can make it under fine control and I wonder why theresn't any serious actions taken.

I think the reports were about north Texas. Today was nice enough I got to fire up the grill and cook up some hickory smoked salmon and shrimp for my Superbowl party. The temp has been up and down here all winter. Snows one week, then sunny and warm the next.

I cooked pork chops outside on the barbeque this evening. I had to sweep the snow off the BBQ. The temperature was slightly above freezing.

Real men who appreciate BBQ and Grilling think nothing of shoveling 2 feet of snow to get to the grill! :)

Last week it was slow cooked and smoked beef brisket!

Ron

I don't shovel the snow to reach my barbeque. I know roughly where it is and I simply kick the snow out of the way.

But my two little dogs are white and disappear in snow. They tunnel in the snow.

Yes, I also don't shovel a path to the BBQ. I just stamp it down/kick it out of the way.

Around here many of us just put the grill out in the shop or the garage and leave the door open while we cook.

Around here many of us just put the grill out in the shop or the garage and leave the door open while we cook.

When they try that around here the fire department is generally involved. Thanksgiving is always popular too with turkey friars burning down garages, sheds and every now and then a house. :)

Ron

So you have seen my friends on the news too? :eek:

I have found that leaving the beer alone until after the food is cooked and the grill is off tends to greatly reduce the chance of fire and of course not grilling right next to the 10 gas cans that either have no lids or leak helps considerably too.;)

You can use the beer to put the fire out. But if you consume the beer then you might not be able to pee far enough to put the fire out.

A few years ago I looked out the window and saw some black smoke on the next street.
I ran there and saw a garage on fire. A guy was there sprinkling the fire with a garden hose but the fire kept growing.
Many people gathered to watch and parked their cars on the street. I heard the fire engine coming and saw that it could not pass the many parked cars. The bumper of the car in the driveway in front of the fire caught on fire then its tires. The tires burst. The entire garage was on fire now. The house behind the garage and the next house were starting to burn. The fire department finally got there and saved half of the two houses. The front of each house, the garage and the car were destroyed.

The fire was caused by a dumbo who saw magotts in a trash can, poured gasoline in it and set it on fire when it was still inside the garage.

So you have seen my friends on the news too? :eek:

I have found that leaving the beer alone until after the food is cooked and the grill is off tends to greatly reduce the chance of fire and of course not grilling right next to the 10 gas cans that either have no lids or leak helps considerably too.;)

You trying to put me of a job? :)

Well there will always be my brothers friends who, even though they are in their early 30's and married with kids, still don't know enough to not pour gasoline on a open fire. :eek:

One did that one last summer and well lets just say the people like him will always keep the paramedics and emergency crews busy for life. :eek:

6" of snowfall is normal, go about one's business around here. Unless it's an ice storm or blizzard conditions with 10"-12"+, schools and businesses remain open. Even then, many schools only get a 2 hour delayed start! It's rare for even the airport to shut down let alone school closings. When street plows clear the roads they are 2-3 trucks wide and staggered as they travel down the main roads. The good municipal plows are the Osh Kosh trucks. Pick-up trucks with snowplows are as common as bicycles around here! Amazes me how just bit further south is Pittsburgh and if they get 1"-2" of snow, most of the city shuts down! Thing is I can't understand why so many residential plowers are using 1/2-ton trucks when snowplowing is hard enough on 3/4 & 1-ton trucks? Snowplow dealers will install a plow on just about anything. Amazing what tiny vehicles I've seen plows mounted on including those undersized and overwhelmed S-10 Blazers and Ford Explorers!! My truck has a beefed up transfer case, beefed up transmission, full-float 1.5-ton axles, and 8800lb. suspension, 10-ply E rated tires and I'm still replacing ball joints, U-joints, track-bar, and end links. I can't see these 1/2 ton IFS front end trucks holding up too long with a 1000lb.+ plow hanging off the front... especially when the front end is sagging under the extra weight, let alone tremendous pressure to the suspension when stacking snow.

I can't see these 1/2 ton IFS front end trucks holding up too long with a 1000lb.+ plow hanging off the front... especially when the front end is sagging under the extra weight, let alone tremendous pressure to the suspension when stacking snow.

They replace transmissions a few times per season. :)

Ron

They replace transmissions a few times per season. :)

Ron
I don't think it's quite that often, esp. after chatting with a transmission repair shop. But I would think that replacing chassis parts should be more often then on heavier duty trucks. A lot has to do with how the operator is handling the vehicle and plow. The transmission shop claims the guys plowing parking lots at 25-30 mph are cooking their transmissions regardless of the cold outdoor temps.

:eek::eek::eek:

Fire hazard!!!

Yeah lol we get so many fires around here from people that put their grill right next to their houses' vinyl siding :p
You can pass out from poor ventilation when you cook in the garage(even with the door open), who will be there to spill beer on the fire then?

And going back on topic, the forecast here says that it will get around 65F in a few days :D
We still have big piles of snow laying around. Most of the snow is brown-black from the stupid chemicals our township puts on the road to melt ice.

-Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back