Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So... About that oil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sceadwian

Banned
I heard some pop pop sizzles in the kitchen a few minutes ago, angry loud ones, so I ask my wife if she's okay, and she said she's fine. I asked her what she was doing and she said cooking, so I asked her exactly what she was doing. Apparently, the instructions on the package for stove top cooked southern hasbrowns said heat 1/4 - 1/2 inch of oil on a medium heat, which she did. She was smart and tosses a few drops of water on it, which is the noise I heard. I grabbed my IR thermometer and shot it at the pan, 465 degreees. It'd already hit the smoke point...

My heart is still racing at the fact that she was the contents of one package away from third degree burns off anything the oil hit.

I've seen a copper bottom stainless steel cookwares that was too dangerous. What happens is because of the difference in the heat conductivity of the two metals, the bottom part expand at some point with a loud sound -throwing the hot oil right on to the cook(he's preparing ready to cook) :D

copper-bottom-cookware-125x125.jpg

That can be a manufacturing defect of that piece. Lots of people use them and saves time and gas.

Why did she put water on it?

If it was on fire I'd understand, even though water should never be used on oil fires, cover with a damp cloth, or better still a fire blanket.

Just a few drops Hero, it helps you check to see if the oil is ready. If she'd actually dumped any water or the food into it the kitchen would have burst into flames. The oil being right near it's smoke point would have ignited instantly when it hit the heating coil, and a lot of it would have been atomized by the steam explosion when the water hit it. Do a youtube search for turkey frying explosion and you'll see many examples of it.

transistor, We have double walled bakeing sheets that do the same thing. The bottom heats up first and we always hear a pop until the entire tray is at the same temperature in the oven, they weren't thinking the design through at all. That's one of the reasons I hate electric ovens though is because it's so incredibly easy to spot heat. Gas ovens the heat is even unless you have the broiler on. I wanted to try out silicon sheeting because it looks good for general cooking use, but we can't use it in the oven because if even the slightest corner of it is sticking over the edge of a bakeing pan the direct IR from the heating coil causes it to smoke. It confused the hell out of me the first time it happend cause general Silicon sheeting is supposed to be rated for like 600 degrees and we only had the oven set to 375. I forget how good an insulator it actually is and when you shoot it with direct IR, it gets super hot super fast. I wish we had a gas range, except I think electric broilers are the greatest thing ever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back