Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SNR margin display

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerelektronik

hello everyone,
is there any way to display snr margin of a dsl line? i want to make a circuit but i have a little knowledge about signal processing. i made control circuits with microchip s pics.
thanks

Such a measurement generally requires sophisticated test instrumentation. Don't know if there's any simpler way to do it. :(

i know it s not easy, but maybe we can get this information from main ic of adsl modem.
You are trying to determine the S/N of a digitally modulated analog carrier. Good luck with getting that info from an ADSL modem chip which likely has only digital outputs.

@crutschow

subject is not familiar for me, i understood that firstly it s wisely for me to get more information about Snr , modem ics and etc :)

thanks for your interest

You are trying to determine the S/N of a digitally modulated analog carrier. Good luck with getting that info from an ADSL modem chip which likely has only digital outputs.

It's a reading commonly available in ADSL modems, so presumably is reasonably 'easy' to get from the chip set - however, I suspect what the OP would need to do is build pretty well a complete ADSL modem, including writing all the software for it, in order to make a meter to take the readings.

Such meters are of course commercially available, but are presumably VERY expensive? - the BT OpenReach guy who came to sort mine out the other month had one, a pretty cool device (and of course reads far more than SNR).

i will try to get information directly from modem ic.

@Goodwin
most of the telecommunication technicians use cool devices like JDSU s HST-3000 (really expensive). but i think that kind of products are unnecessarily more functional for them. they generally use baudrate-snr and attenuation stats. i m in telecommunication sector for a while. it s only fancy for me.
and sorry about my English :)

What modem do you use? That would be a good start.

You might find that the modem makes debugging measurements available over HTTP.

as a matter of fact, that measurement should be on a diagnostic page on the modem's "web page" probably under a tab or link for diagnostics or line status. mine (on an actiontec 1000) is listed on the "WAN Status" page. to get there, enter the modem's LAN IP address in your browser's address box.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back