Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snow day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Goodwin

Super Moderator
Most Helpful Member
Second day off work this week for snow, although today is my day off anyway :p

Went a walk in the snow, here's a picture from the end of our road looking down the hill. The headlights coming up the hill were a Landrover, with the biggest chunky tires you ever did see - obviously out for a play!.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.JPG
    DSCF0003.JPG
    314.6 KB · Views: 304

Went a walk in the snow, here's a picture from the end of our road looking down the hill. The headlights coming up the hill were a Landrover, with the biggest chunky tires you ever did see - obviously out for a play!.

Perhaps this may help..:)

**broken link removed**

:(

I am so envious! Blerry sunny South Africa with its warm oceans and palm trees! Who needs it??

But seriously, I wish it did snow (like that) closer to where I stay. Not something the average person gets to see very often over here.

Attachments

• dairy_beach_pano.jpg
    dairy_beach_pano.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 275
:(

I am so envious! Blerry sunny South Africa with its warm oceans and palm trees! Who needs it??

Tough question! :D

But seriously, I wish it did snow (like that) closer to where I stay. Not something the average person gets to see very often over here.

We don't seem to get a lot here these days, but it does seem to go in cycles.

I've got close family somewhere in Toronto and have been considering coming there next December to enjoy a "white Christmas".

They just laughed when I told them... :confused:

I heard a very interesting statistic about Land Rovers last week,

Ninety percent of all Land Rovers ever built are still on the road.

The other 10% made it home.:D:eek:

Mike.

Currently around 25°C here but it is midnight.

North of here is currently flooded and may get hit with a cyclone in the next two days:eek:. When I say North I mean 60% of the state which is seven times bigger than the UK. The floods are 14M deep in some places!!

South of here (about 1000 miles) they had a heatwave last week, bush fires destroyed many homes and around 50 people died.

At least snow makes everything look pretty.

Mike.

What a complete tea cup you Brits are! Where I live, right now it's -3° F, and we have a total accumulative snowfall of 130 inches. Schools here don't close unless there's 6"-8" imminent. It's business as usual. And no I don't live in Alaska or upper Husdon Bay! This is what we get for living near the Great Lakes and having Canada as a neighboring country, sending her Alberta Clippers our way as they pick up moisture off the lakes, dumping huge amounts of snow.
I think I'm gonna go visit AudioGuru and crack him on the head with my snowshovel!;)

And while an aluminum bodied Rover may not rust away, in my location it will corrode and pit from the heavy, extensive use of road salts and chlorides used for snow and ice management. After this winter season ends, the Great Lakes may no longer be the world's largest body of fresh water... once all the road salts have melted their way into feeder streams and rivers!

Last edited:
I think I'm gonna go visit AudioGuru and crack him on the head with my snowshovel!;)
Please come and help me shovel the snow.
I have shovelled my driveway abot 20 times this winter and the piles of snow on each side are about 2.5m high. My street is white maybe with salt or packed snow.

A few days ago on a warm day I saw a fox running up my street.

Last edited:
We had a light sprinkling of snow here today.

Managed to make this with littleun before he got bored

Its about 7 foot tall ;)

Attachments

• SDC10550.JPG
    SDC10550.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 274
snow day

Nigel, quite a picturesque scene. We had about 2 inches of snow (27 year record) here in So. Texas last month. What a blast!:)

Nigel, quite a picturesque scene. We had about 2 inches of snow (27 year record) here in So. Texas last month. What a blast!

Yes, snow here in Texas, is definitely not ordinary. Here in the Caprock we got a whole 1/2 inch of sleet so far this winter.:rolleyes:

Please come and help me shovel the snow.
I have shovelled my driveway abot 20 times this winter and the piles of snow on each side are about 2.5m high. My street is white maybe with salt or packed snow.

A few days ago on a warm day I saw a fox running up my street.
AG, at least your shovel can be used for snow--- ours aren't effective anymore! Even the plow on my truck is only capable of pushing the stuff around (typically to someone else's yard!!!). We are now using high-lift front loaders and dump trucks to either stack it or haul it away. I have a pile on my street that is between 10-12 feet high and most driveways are piled so high, oncoming drivers have no clue if someone is exiting their driveway. If this keeps up, folks here will get short tempered with each other as sometimes happens during late February or March.

Snow Day

I thought everything was bigger and better in Texas?, don't you get 20 feet of snow a week? :D

Well Nigel, you're assuming bigger (more snow) is better. Not down here where most people haven't a clue about how to drive in the "snow".:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back