Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snow Blower modification

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrz126

Well, we finally got the first snowfall of the year, good old reliable lake Erie helped out like it usually does by providing the lake effect snow...18+inches within 24 hours, and another 6-10 is on the way today.

Anyhoo, I'm looking to modify the chute of my snowblower from a manual crank to a motorized control. I just got the idea yesterday while snowblowing so I havent really researched it that much.

I'm planning on driving the motor off of the power generated by the blower, (has a headlight that runs all the time, havent had a chance to get a voltage reading off of it.) Anyone know what kind of current limitations I will have using this supply?

I would like to attach my motor to the shaft that you crank by hand to rotate the chute, involves less butchering of the blower. The shaft has about 5-10 turns to go side to side. Anyone know of a motor that will be able to handle this? (slow rotation, somewhat powerful)

Also if you have any suggestions on how to handle this, please feel free...

Jeff the car electric window motor has lots of torque..
also sorry to hear about your snow..
move to New Jersey we usually dont get any till january .. and even then some years we dont get any.. :)

Part of the snow problem is the lake effect, once the lake freezes over, it isnt as bad.

Anyhoo. I was thinking about window wiper motor, but I dont think I'd be able to get 4+ amps out of the generator on the blower. (allelectronics has one that is 106 rpms with 4 amps @ no load.)

EDIT: oh yeah and the snow isnt a problem...makes it fun to drive in, (e-braking/donuts) :twisted:

Oh I guess the slow speed (41 rpm 0.91A) might work. but if it is 10 rotations for entire travel, it'll be 14.6341463415 seconds for it to make that turn. at 106 rpms it would be 5 seconds.

Torque really isnt that much of a problem, it doesnt take too much to turn it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back