Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMPS transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was redesigning the power supply of my radio because the current one is too under powered to do the job so I swithced to a SMPS. The problem is that the requirements for said power supply must be:

Output 1: 20V with at least 10A of current (may go higher deppending on further calculations)

Output 2: 6V at 500mA

Output 3: same as output 2

Output 4: 12V at 100mA

I don't trust myself making this transformer because something is bound to blow up in my face (it always does). Is there anywhere I can go to get a custom SMPS transformer made for me? I've looked on Google but everywhere seems to have a transformer with certain output voltages that are less common but not what I need.

What is the input voltage to the SMPS?

Why do you need two separate identical 6V supplies? Do you require isolated grounds?

The input voltage would be 120V but I guess after it is rectified from AC it would be more like 160V.

I have 2 6V outputs because the thermal management part of the supply needs 2 different voltages, 5V for the IC that works the fan and 12V for the fan itself. It seemed more efficient this way than using a regulator that would waste power.

......I have 2 6V outputs because the thermal management part of the supply needs 2 different voltages, 5V for the IC that works the fan and 12V for the fan itself. It seemed more efficient this way than using a regulator that would waste power.
I still don't understand. Do you need two 6V outputs or one 5V and one 12V?

I really need a 5V and a 12V but I will just run the 6V through a couple diodes to drop it to an appropriate voltage for the IC.

Here's one company that will do custom transformers but they won't be cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back