Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD pcboard design

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDEB

when designing a SMD pc board, using a ssop-18 pad on top as well as bottom (2x board) how do you connect the top pads to the bottom?
I figure just drill a #68 hole and solder a cut off component lead in the pads.
any other tips on using SMD pc board design.
planning on just soldering the PIC using an iron.
not wanting to invest in special solder paste that needs refrigeration etc.

This is a DIY home brew boards

Plating through holes - no idea except inserting a pin for such purpose so I am just going to insert a cut off component lead soldered on both sides.
Just wondering about any layout advice etc.

I etch my own PCBs. Some times I uses a few throgh hole components in the right spots, and use their leads as vias.
It may even make sense to use a through hole processor and solder it on both sides. Or use a machine pin socket that can soldered top and bottom.

Depending on the complexity of the design it is often possible to make single sided SMD PCBs if you move between layout and schematic to rearrange the use of processor pins to untangle wires.

3v0

Many component pins are tinned and fall out as soon as I warm them. So I usually drill a hole about 0.032" and force a pin from a connector (0.025" square, 0.035" diagonal) through. The square pin goes in with moderate force and doesn't rotate or fall out. Makes a nice test point too if I don't trim it.

There are also different diameter and drill size copper and silver rivets on the market. They are normally inserted from the top and pressed for electrical connection and mechanical stability.

Since the pressing tool is pretty expensive and requires inserts for different size rivets I used a modified drill to hammer the rivets inside out onto the bottom layer for a "collar".

As a safety precaution I soldered top and bottom traces to the rivets.

Use a toothpick to block the rivet not to allow soldering tin flow inside if you want to use a wired component with it.

Boncuk

Attachments

• RIVET.gif
    RIVET.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 150
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back