Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

smart traffic light: HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crystal86

Hi guys
I am workin on a smart traffic light. It is smart becos it detects when a pedestrian steps on a platform mounted on the walkway. Am planning to use 8051 based architecture MCU, (an 18 series PIC)
These are my propositions;
1)The pedestrian switch is either gonna be Infrared triggered or by a pushbutton or tactile switch connected under the platfrom
2)It is designed for a zebra crossing such that pedestrians are always given precedence on the road.

The circuitry will be designed with each indicator following the convetional traffic regulations.

It will be controlled the PIC, programmed such that at rest, it is constantly “on” state for the green light. That is it allows vehicles to move. It goes into caution for a pedestrian (and vehicles alike) for a few seconds when interupted (triggered by a switch place on the sidewalk). The caution time is programmed such that enough time is given to the slowest vehicle about to cross the line. After this the light turns red for the vehicular traffic. The pedestrian crosses when the road is clear and immediately the last steps off the platform on the walkway, the light goes to orange (caution), a counter starts and counts the approximate seconds needed for a “snail” to cross plus some tolerance. After this, the light turns green for the vehicles thereby resetting the MCU. The time between each cycle should be reasonably. It should take into consideration that the MCU might be triggered incessantly going by the fact that it is designed basically for children pedestrians. (It's a project am considering for some school kids in my neighborhood)

A major concern I have is if a single indicator will be effective and surfficient. As per this, i need help simply bcos an new to PIC programming. Virtually everything I've done so far has been theoretical!

I will appreciate suggestions on the project as a whole (even the hardwares, structure, programming).

Many thankx

I see what your saying but what if the person does not step on platform? Further more, this would be ultra exxpensive to implement. Digging large holes in the ground, adding cables etc. This would require a major change in infrastructure and would not be cost effective. Think practical. Whats is wrong with the pedestrian button on the lightpole?

Clever thinking but not practical nor cost effective.

P.S. What is a becos?

Last edited:
If its for only detecting a small space then you can do something like done in stores.Although as stated above the costs will be huge (if the Government lets you dig in the first place).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back