Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart Restroom = Bad Idea ? pt.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dna_electro

i have one project in mind that i really like to build. but i dont know if its a good one / waste one.

what do you do in restroom ? washes your hand, mirroring,tidy up your looks , peeing?
i have this one simple idea: when you washes your hand you like to keep it clean as long as it could be. when you look at the mirror you want to have a better look at your apearance.

so i think to make an automatic water crane,soap box, tissue box, and door handle so u dont have to touch any of this after you washes your hand. when you look at the mirror the extra light will turn on and when you peeing there is music turn on to bias any voice you make while you pee.

before going to implementation i wanna ask what is the problem i will face and weakness on my project.

there is another project been asked, that count every person that walks in and display it on screen so other will know if the restroom is overcrowded(and i think is a good idea).

is smart restroom too overly ?
i have to look at a best background,strong foundation for my project,since this is my college final project. do you think its bad idea ? or do you have any idea ?

Nice idea.

I just wonder how the mirror will know a person looks at him/herself?

Boncuk

Our local supermarkets already have washrooms with hands-free automatic light-switches, taps, soap dispensers and hand-driers, and background music is permanently on.

We already have all of that where I work. Automated doors for entry and exit, automatic flush on toilets and urinals, automatic soap dispensers with automatic sinks and finally automatic paper towel dispensers. Everything is automated and then if your little heart desires upon exit a machine to dispense anti-bacterial cream for your hands. Music would be a nice touch. :)

Ron

Yep, true in some places.

Some restrooms don't have doors, just a winding entryway. Way back in high school, that entryway had a place to put your books. A cinderblock shelf. Lowes has winding entryways.

A hospital nearby has an automatic door, but not the traditional one. You have to try to move it first.

A doctor's office and numerous professional buildings have motion sensor lights. The really dark restroom probably does it right with a very small bulb (night light style) that burns all of the time. The lights are not of an instant on variety.

What I really don't like is restrooms with large deadbolts on the inside door. I don't think it's safe. Taco Bell used to have restaurants with a single customer bathrrom for each sex that had an auto occupied thing that worked with the lock.

Ikea has a separate unisex baby changing area.

Nice idea.

I just wonder how the mirror will know a person looks at him/herself?

Boncuk

that's technical but i think about it later.

Our local supermarkets already have washrooms with hands-free automatic light-switches, taps, soap dispensers and hand-driers, and background music is permanently on.

We already have all of that where I work. Automated doors for entry and exit, automatic flush on toilets and urinals, automatic soap dispensers with automatic sinks and finally automatic paper towel dispensers. Everything is automated and then if your little heart desires upon exit a machine to dispense anti-bacterial cream for your hands. Music would be a nice touch. :)

Ron

Yep, true in some places.

Some restrooms don't have doors, just a winding entryway. Way back in high school, that entryway had a place to put your books. A cinderblock shelf. Lowes has winding entryways.

A hospital nearby has an automatic door, but not the traditional one. You have to try to move it first.

A doctor's office and numerous professional buildings have motion sensor lights. The really dark restroom probably does it right with a very small bulb (night light style) that burns all of the time. The lights are not of an instant on variety.

What I really don't like is restrooms with large deadbolts on the inside door. I don't think it's safe. Taco Bell used to have restaurants with a single customer bathrrom for each sex that had an auto occupied thing that worked with the lock.

Ikea has a separate unisex baby changing area.

it looks like my idea is outdated.

Yea, maybe.

I read about these like $20,000 restrooms that are supposed to be used on city streets. They apparently have some sort of total cleansing sequence that they go through. Yep, they cost too much.

In Italy for holidays we encountered our first self-cleaning restroom along the autostrata. My wife used it and returned into it just before the door locked! Oh well, I'm still laughing.
Leave it to a sophomore to do a bathroom project! E

Its actually a good idea, but its been done as others have said. The main issue is that touching the controls is overall unsanitary, so its better if something automatically opened and closed faucets, provided towels etc., also with manual faucets some folks forget to shut them off, leading to waste of water.

IMHO the auto functions are better for cleanliness, because over time I've seen them malfunction: water doesn't come out, towels don't dispense and worse faucets don't shut off, toilets keep flushing.

I saw some Japanese add ons with extra features: heated seats, automatic seat cover replacement, bidet controls on the toilet, self closing doors, auto frosting doors, etc.,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRYxvpgkqYI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVC3HH-VyB4&feature=related

You can find many developments on youtube with videos.

Also, in the EU, there are public pay toilets that are self-clean after each use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back