Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smallest microwave ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oznog

OK, this is cool. I've been looking for a decent microwave I can run off my power inverter for my E150 popup camper van. I used to use a somewhat small one, it wan't that small though and was cumbersome to move around. I wanted to make a shelf for it but the only place is up high behind the driver's seat. Common sense tells me that thing would probably break free in an accident and squash my head.

I had some ideas about lightning up that heavy beast by using a toriodal transformer, or mouting the heavy transformer, rectifier, and cap down low and run HV silicone wire up to the lighter microwave up top, but I think the magnetron and steel cavity makes up enough of that weight that this may accomplish nothing.

I picked up a "Half Pint" awhile ago. Narrower but taller, almost a cube, but still a bit too big. I've been looking for years for the perfect uWave, although admittedly not as a full-time job.

I was at a garage sale today and found a "Micro-Mite". This thing is only 15 3/4" x 9.5" x 9". That is the size of a child's EZ Bake! In fact, when I first walked by, I assumed it WAS an EZ Bake! Sez 0.86kW and the date is 198-something. He wanted $15, I got him down to $12.

Well, I think that takes the record for the smallest microwave ever! At least on the consumer market. It's not so heavy, boils water ok, and crazy small. They just don't make them like this anymore.

OK, probably nobody else cares- I think it's cool. It is finally something I could reasonably fit in the van and this "baby wave" will probably turn some heads to boot. Freaky to heat things in something that small without a light bulb. I wonder why they never tried to fill this niche with newer equipment? Previously, I had concluded maybe the resonating cavity had to be a particular minimum size to resonate, but I guess not.

probably doesn't meet todays safety guidelines, which is why they dont make them like that anymore :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back