Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Small Wind Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickkelbackk

I might possibly be building a wind power generator thing. Here are some pictures of it. Nevermind I dont know how to get pictures in here. Anyway, I have been searching the internet looking for a small cheap generator that is easy to turn. The wind will not be able to turn the ultra-simple electric generator that is out there(If you do not know what I mean search it). Thank you

(If you do not know what I mean search it).
I searched it (ultra-simple electric generator) and got a science fair project that will turn if you blow on it. Please be more specific (url would be nice).

OK This is the one I was referring to -http://www.eskimo.com/~billb/amateur/coilgen.html
Could you please post the link to the one you can blow on

What are your requirements for the circuit? e.g. how much power do you need out of it, how large can it be, how much can you spend. . .?

Is this for a practical use or is it a demonstration or proof of concept only?

To add pictures, scroll down while you're creating a post. You will see a button labelled "Manage attachments". Click it. You will get a popup window with some fields where you can enter (or browse to find) image files from your filesystem. Once you've located the files, click the 'Upload' button. After the files have finished uploading you can click 'Close window' to close the popup.

Torben

Ok the box is from sketchup. It is 1 foot x 6 inch x 6 inch(lxwxh) There is something like this if you look at just the rotor from the side: |
| with 2 lines on the sides too but, I can't draw those. I am building it for extra credit for technology class. so it does not need to be for practical use. I need enough power out of it for maybe a small lightbulb or led. It needs to accomplish this from the wind of a normal housefan. Also if you are wondering why there is a hole in the back it is so it can accept wind from both directions.

Attachments

• Wind generator.jpg
    Wind generator.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 174
  • Wind generator2.jpg
    Wind generator2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 168
Of course the Ultra-Simple Generator can be operated with wind power. Just add a big propeller for the wind to turn.

Ok the box is from sketchup. It is 1 foot x 6 inch x 6 inch(lxwxh) There is something like this if you look at just the rotor from the side: |
| with 2 lines on the sides too but, I can't draw those. I am building it for extra credit for technology class. so it does not need to be for practical use. I need enough power out of it for maybe a small lightbulb or led. It needs to accomplish this from the wind of a normal housefan. Also if you are wondering why there is a hole in the back it is so it can accept wind from both directions.

Do you need to wind the generator yourself or could you just stick a propeller on the shaft of a small DC motor?

Torben

If you google "pico turbine" you will find a design for a small savonious generator.

**broken link removed** is a pdf describing a typical pico generator.

These types of generators can be scaled up quite easily.

Mike.

Years ago, while living on a boat, we made a wind generator out of an old computer motor. The motor was surplus from the old reel to reel computers you'd see in an old James bond movie from the 60's. With a 4Ft prop hand carved out of wood, this thing would crank out 10-15A at 12V in a good breeze. The easiest by far is to find a small DC motor; it'll give you more power than anything you can build yourself out of a nail, magnets, cardboard and wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back