Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small electric motor help

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxss

hello!

im currently completing a project that involves me spinning an old vinyl record, i dont know how to do this the right way, but i have an idea that if i could attach the disc to the end of a motor, atleast the illusion of spinning would work. The only problem is that I need the motor to spin at roughly the same speed as a real record would, which by my knowlege is 33 rpm. I have searched google and i cant find anything that could possibly help me. Basically what i need to know is, how do i get a motor to spin at the exact speed i want it to?

if any one can help me it would be much appreciated

THANKS!

A motor spinning at only 33RPM has no torque. Record players used a pulley or smooth gears to produce plenty of torque at the low speed.
Then the motor ran at the 50Hz or 60Hz mains frequency multiplied by the number of poles in the motor.

The older turntables used a synchronous motor that friction drove a somewhat massive platter. The friction drive was rather large (about 1-1.5") and drove the platter from the inside edge. Speed was changed by moving a stepped shaft.

Later came belt and direct drive turntables with markings along the platter that was illuminated by a neon light which implemented a strobo scope. The motor had lots of poles and was communtated electronically from a variable frequency time base. Speed was adjusted using the stroboscope for feedback.

Manual (one disk), semi-automatic (tonearm lifted and retracted after play), and automatic (play multiple records) existed. 45's required an adapter to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back